Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
100 percent sure it will have a bigger screen and better camera and speed and a new design. But that's basically a galaxy s4 with ios 7 on it? Spec wise. It's scary imagining what the S5 will have compared to the iPhone 2014.
BOTH will be the best phones for next year.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Think Apple will focus on these key areas:

New industrial design
Larger and better display
Battery life improvements

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Most obvious should be a new design but I am thinking it will follow closer to the looks of the 5C

Camera wise im thinking around the 12mp range. The real thing it needs is more options in an optional advanced menu including; iso, seperate focus and white balance, shutter speed. When Phil gets on stage he compared it to a DSLR and as such it needs to step up. I wouldnt mind it being a bit thicker and offering a better field of focus.

Next Retina 2, not massively increasing PPI, keep saying people say 1080p but a retina screen by definition is superior to 1080. I believe the screen will receive increased brightness, colour gamut and levels of gradation.

As long as the camera meets the hardware requirments features can come later and screen calibration is accurate I will grt in line for 2014 iPhone

FrozenInferno

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
- 32GB base model.

- New design.

- Camera improvements but marginal MP increase, if any.

- Maybe 2GB of RAM.

- Wireless point-of-sale payment capability.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Most obvious should be a new design but I am thinking it will follow closer to the looks of the 5C

Camera wise im thinking around the 12mp range. The real thing it needs is more options in an optional advanced menu including; iso, seperate focus and white balance, shutter speed. When Phil gets on stage he compared it to a DSLR and as such it needs to step up. I wouldnt mind it being a bit thicker and offering a better field of focus.

Next Retina 2, not massively increasing PPI, keep saying people say 1080p but a retina screen by definition is superior to 1080. I believe the screen will receive increased brightness, colour gamut and levels of gradation.

As long as the camera meets the hardware requirments features can come later and screen calibration is accurate I will grt in line for 2014 iPhone

I would agree on most part. Can you explain the parts in bold? What do you mean 'a retina screen by definition is superior to 1080'?

I think the camera is quite decent at 8MP already, though I can see why some hardcore photographers would want it to be upgraded to 12MP.

The most interesting thing that at least 90% of the people here want to see is improvements to battery life, and by that, that does not mean +1 or 2 hrs.
Making the iPhone thinner while simultaneously increasing battery life seems to be the only thing Apple has not yet been able to achieve.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
In addition to the basic hardware bumps you already mentioned, I want to believe that Apple will focus on adding more cloud services to the iCloud experience, things like:
- Larger back up space, when you buy an apple product you get the same size server size for your iCloud account
- Expand on Apps that leverage the 64bit processors: more powerful productivity Apps and Games
- Smart Home products that can be easily monitored and controlled via iOS: video surveillance, alarm sensors, control appliances, etc
Hardware wants, not necessarily predictions:
-Stereo speakers.
-A dedicated AirPlay module that can communicate with any other old iOS device and enable those other iOS devices to run as AirPlay players. Additionally be able to control their cameras and receive their input. So we can reuse old iOS devices for playback/or access their cameras remotely.

And I think they will releasing a new iOS 8.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I would agree on most part. Can you explain the parts in bold? What do you mean 'a retina screen by definition is superior to 1080'?

I think the camera is quite decent at 8MP already, though I can see why some hardcore photographers would want it to be upgraded to 12MP.

The most interesting thing that at least 90% of the people here want to see is improvements to battery life, and by that, that does not mean +1 or 2 hrs.
Making the iPhone thinner while simultaneously increasing battery life seems to be the only thing Apple has not yet been able to achieve.

When I typed that I thought I forgot something lol yes battery life is the 3rd and final most important thing to me. Size is likely to increase to 4.7" but any bigger I feel sacrafices portability.

As for what I said happy to explain, well 1080p refers to as we know the anount of pixels and people often say they want the retina screen to be a 1080p screen. This however is a downgrade from a Retina screen as you are limiting the PPI, whereas a Retina screen is designed so individual pixels arent discernible by the human eye. This means as iPhone screen sizes increase so to will the pixel density so we don't lose the sharpness detail we have come to love.

Apple market this with their retina hardware releases showing that for its size the retina devices have more pixels than our 1080 tv's at home. The reason this is not an issue on the tv is the distance we view them from, likewise a 1080 phone screen is fine to a certain soze but the larger you go youw will lose detail as the pixels get larger.

Hope that helps.

----------

In addition to the basic hardware bumps you already mentioned, I want to believe that Apple will focus on adding more cloud services to the iCloud experience, things like:
- Larger back up space, when you buy an apple product you get the same size server size for your iCloud account
- Expand on Apps that leverage the 64bit processors: more powerful productivity Apps and Games
- Smart Home products that can be easily monitored and controlled via iOS: video surveillance, alarm sensors, control appliances, etc
Hardware wants, not necessarily predictions:
-Stereo speakers.
-A dedicated AirPlay module that can communicate with any other old iOS device and enable those other iOS devices to run as AirPlay players. Additionally be able to control their cameras and receive their input. So we can reuse old iOS devices for playback/or access their cameras remotely.

And I think they will releasing a new iOS 8.

If we are going for hoped and dreams then I still want an iFolder, a unified file manager at the hear t of the OS where all incoming files are accessible to view, edit and share.

----------

P.s sorry for spelling, multi-tasking sucks

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
4.7" retina+ display
Smaller front bezels and slightly wider phone
Stereo speakers
Slightly curved design
2 gb ram
Liquid metal unibody
13mp camera
Improved battery life

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Will 4K video recording be an important feature for the next iPhone?

I don't know if Apple would still continue with the 1080 recording. The Galaxy S5 might have 4K recording and just updating the camera to 12mp doesn't seem huge at all for being a late 2014 phone. Only updating screen size and better processor for iPhone 2014 seems disappointing.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's not a major feature. How many people do you know with displays that can take advantage of 4K video?

It's mostly useless at this point.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
4K is nice but its being showed down our throats way to early.

At least for consumers.

So no, i dont think the iPhone will be able to shoot in 4K for at least 2 more gens.

Apple isnt playing the megapixels game on their camera why would they start with the video?

Its all about taking great videos and photos. Not about megapixels or resolution.

Edit: what we most certainly will get is 1080p slow mo up from current 720p.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
No because they would have to increase their storage capability by leaps and bounds. Minimum 32gb and up

This is true.

Samsung may be able to get away with it by passing that issue onto the customer with a removable SD card but Apple won't be able to do that.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
As for what I said happy to explain, well 1080p refers to as we know the anount of pixels and people often say they want the retina screen to be a 1080p screen. This however is a downgrade from a Retina screen as you are limiting the PPI, whereas a Retina screen is designed so individual pixels arent discernible by the human eye. This means as iPhone screen sizes increase so to will the pixel density so we don't lose the sharpness detail we have come to love.

If you take Steve Jobs' view of Retina screens being 300+ PPI for a phone, the a 1080p screen would need to be 7.3" to be classed as 'non-retina'. Therefore, I think a 1080p would definitely be classed as better than retina, and would have a massive 550 PPI at 4", and almost 470 PPI at 4.7"/

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
4K not coming to smartphones yet as adequate Data compression for 4K has not been announced yet. Sending a 4K video would be a disaster on a data plan. I don't think that 4K on a smartphone screen would do it justice. It would be like watching a made for IMac movie on your home TV

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
4K not coming to smartphones yet as adequate Data compression for 4K has not been announced yet. Sending a 4K video would be a disaster on a data plan. I don't think that 4K on a smartphone screen would do it justice. It would be like watching a made for IMac movie on your home TV

H.265, otherwise known as HEVC was launched last year. It gives 4K resolution at only double the bandwidth of 1080p using H.264. There is also Google's VP9 alternative.

4K recording will be in many new phones this year, and Apple cannot be afford to be left behind, especially with the shiny new 4K-capable Mac Pro.

I think it likely we will see a larger iPhone this year. Maybe 5" screen with 1080p resolution. But I hope the current screen size stays around with the same performance as the larger model. Android phones have been treating the smaller models as inferior with lower specs, except for the new top models just announced by Sony.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
My Prediction:

There will be 3 iPhones released:

iPhone C
iPhone Air
iPhone + (Larger iPhone)

I envision them doing away with numbering the phones and going the iPad, MacBook route. The iPhone 7, 9, 12, all sound corny so I think they drop the numbering.

Tech wise. I see:

1. Camera improvement in sensor. Software features adding functionality and features but no MP increase. No 4K recording because its not mainstream yet. Nobody really has 4K monitors or TVs so why even bother?

2. Battery life improvements.

3. New design.

4. Speaker/Microphone Improvements

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.