Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

christich99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
As the title states, I'm trying to decide between the Bose SoundLink Mini (Bluetooth speaker) and Pebble (Smart watch.) I'll start by listing what factors are in my consideration.

Bose SoundLink Mini:
- I don't currently have a Bluetooth speaker.
- I'm the kind of person that likes to listen to music as I fall asleep, which may explain why I've practically destroyed my Apple EarPods.
- I listen to a lot of music, and after a while I get tired of using my headphones.

Pebble:
- I'm visually impaired, so it's pretty hard for me to find a watch that offers good features without compromising on the screen. With the Pebble, this isn't an issue since there are so many different watch faces, and you can even make your own.
- The fact that you can customize nearly every aspect of the watch is awesome, as I can create an experience that's truly tailored for me.
- I'm learning computer programming right now, and the openness of Pebble means that whenever I'm ready, I can start to create watch apps.

Thanks in advance for all the help. If it wasn't obvious, please note that I can only get one of the two items mentioned above.

Last edited:

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
I have a Pebble and use it on a daily basis. I am a physician, so when I get a page or call, I can look down on my wrist and read the message or see if needs to be read right away. They just updated the SDK so almost all iOS7 notifications now show. SMS shows the fastest. There is a small delay with other notifications.

You can control you music as well if you use that.'

There are many watch faces out there. You can get some with large numbers.

What do you want it to do?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Not being familiar with both products, it looks like the watch is more useful right now than the speakers. You can have your phone connected to any speakers anytime. I think there will be lower price and better quality options in the following weeks. That way you get extra motivation to make progress with your programming skills.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I've got BT speakers, and I must say it was a waste of money for me. BT is fairly sensitive to distances, meaning I have to be close to the speakers at all time - so I simply leave the phone lying next to them. Doing that, I could conserve the battery by using the aux cable, or even put a dock there to charge the phone.

If you really want wireless speakers, AirPlay is the way to go since you can keep the phone in your pocket and leave the room without having the music stop playing.

I've also got a smart watch (MetaWatch), and I absolutely love it. It has changed the way I use my phone, and I feel much less constricted it a sense when I don't have to constantly use my hands to check a notification. Also, it controls music and volume so I can use my favourite headphones without controls and still be able to switch songs without using the phone :)

So my recommendation is the smart watch.

christich99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
EDIT: changed "JBL Flip" to "Bose SoundLink Mini"

Also, if it helps, I'll point out that I'm currently a freshman in high school

What do you want it to do?

I want to:
- be able to easily tell the time
- have a lot of customizability
- make my life [even] easier

Last edited:

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
The Pebble would allow you to peek at a text or email you receive while in class. Not sure what your school rules are, but unless the teacher knows what a Pebble watch can do, you will be able to read your messages. It is not a touch screen and you cannot respond or compose messages.

People have made apps, but I just use the watch faces and notifications.

Hope that helps. Check out their web site and http://www.mypebblefaces.com/?pebble_sdk[]=1& to see what is available.

christich99

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Not sure what your school rules are, but unless the teacher knows what a Pebble watch can do, you will be able to read your messages.

My teachers are somewhat lax on the "no cell-phone" rule (some of them, at least.) I have a habit of forgetting to put my phone on vibrate though, so I've nearly gotten into big trouble a few times. The Pebble would be able to help with that, right? (using the idea found here: http://bit.ly/18Eoocn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.