Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowyman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Hello guys,

Today I've gotten my white Tmo 16G rMini. Then read about a possible image retention problem with some units. So I went ahead and tested if my new mini suffers from the problem. Well as a person known for my bad luck, it seems like a big issue with me. It's known that later in the lifecycle of the product, screen burn in may bite you in the arse (my galaxy s3 had problem after a year, sending the phone to the heaven for good).

So here are pics:

To test yourself, go to http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html, set the brightness to 100%, and let the test open for 7-8 minutes. Whenever the screen dims, touch it to wake up.

Post and please let us know if you also have the same problem. I've another order coming online, I'll also test that one, if that one also has the problem I think I'll live with this but otherwise this a problem.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    298.1 KB · Views: 1,073
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    334.1 KB · Views: 1,037
Last edited:

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Mine was the same and I returned it. Going to pass on the rMini for now until the displays improve a bit.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Let me ask this, does the iPad exhibit any IR when using it normally, not blasting the brightness 100% leaving a test image on it for almost 10 minutes?

What I'm saying is, there issues w/o such an extreme usage pattern

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
All those returned devices must cost apple a fortune... no wonder they are so expensive :p

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I haven't ran the test but to be honest I'm going to assume mine already fails it, but to be honest when will this happen with typical usage? When will we be looking at an image with solid black and white images for ten minutes?

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
I don't like to get into the whole image retention thing because I had a iPad 1 that was fine for almost a year then then it started having the retention problem. So if you don't plan to upgrade every year, laugh now cry later. :eek:

Smurfqq

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
Let me ask this, does the iPad exhibit any IR when using it normally, not blasting the brightness 100% leaving a test image on it for almost 10 minutes?

What I'm saying is, there issues w/o such an extreme usage pattern

Ok so first off, mine has the issue. Whether or not it matters for you depends on your usage. I'm sure some use cases people are leaving something on their screen for a long time, reference up, I don't know.

However, I'd guess for the vast majority of us, we aren't staring at a static screen for anywhere near that long. I used mine for a few hours and never noticed until I came across this post and ran the test for 10 minutes. I had to run it twice because the first time I had auto brightness going and didn't see anything. Had to turn up the brightness past 75% to get it to happen.

I'm sure there are fringe cases where it is way worse than what I just described in which case you should return... but more than likely..

It's a non issue for me (and probably almost everyone). I'm more concerned about noticeable issues like dead pixels, backlight bleed, or uneven tints.

Last edited:

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I tested mine and there is IR even around 2 minutes. I don't notice anything with regular use. It's most likely going back. Don't know if I'll buy another. Maybe a few months down the road. Until then I'm fine with the Ipad Air.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
Don't know if mine does it or not, don't care either way.

It works, so why try and make it cause a problem?

Ive got 12 months to take it back so I so desire ;)

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
"I just intentionally tried to get my device to have image retention issues and it did. I'm taking it back."

Next, we should all drop our units to see if the screen shatters. If it does, let's let the internet know about the flaw and return them.

:eek:

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I tested mine and there is IR even around 2 minutes. I don't notice anything with regular use. It's most likely going back. Don't know if I'll buy another. Maybe a few months down the road. Until then I'm fine with the Ipad Air.

I'd definitely take it back. 2 mins? That's what, reading a page then switching to another app?

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Just tested it on my 32 GB retina Mini I picked up yesterday. No burn in at all.

My first 4 digits of serial # are DLXL

Last edited:

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Silly question but is there a way to know the manufacture of the display without opening the ipad?

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
Don't know if mine does it or not, don't care either way.

It works, so why try and make it cause a problem?

Ive got 12 months to take it back so I so desire ;)

I had no intention of testing mine but I saw faint artifacts on a white background right out of the box. Thought my eyes were playing tricks. It went away quickly. And I don't keep static images on my display long enough to see IR during regular usage so it's not the reason I'm returning. I just don't like reading on it.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
This should be obvious, but don't look at the screen while waiting for the test. Your eyes will have some burn in effect which you may think is then on your screen.

bwapod

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010

This.

I have 2 retina minis at the moment:

- 16gb verizon model, picked up locally. This one fails the test even after 90 seconds on 50% brightness... but otherwise I wouldn't notice it nor would I care.

- 16gb wifi only, ordered online and shipped to me, just arrived yesterday (planning on returning this one since I found an LTE model locally). This one passes the test (no retention/persistence)... but I didn't try the test for more than 2 minutes.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I can see this being a pain. When my iPad finally arrives on 3rd Dec from Apple.com, I'll test it, it'll fail then I'll have to travel 30miles to my nearest apple store, swap it over, same problem, return 30miles, replace again. Third time I'll go I'll swap it for an Air.

----------

- 16gb verizon model, picked up locally. This one fails the test even after 90 seconds on 50% brightness... but otherwise I wouldn't notice it nor would I care.

90s? Apple really are letting crud out the factory doors these days. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.