Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:33 PM   #1
kos
macrumors newbie

returning powerbook for mactel

I have just purchased a new 15in powerbook from the apple education site, from the terms and conditions it says you can return the powerbook within 14 calander days or since it chrismas 8th Jan 06 so i was wondering do you have to pay for delivery when returning a powerbook as i may return it and purchase a Mactel well whatever is release in january. Anyone got a clue if they charge you to return stuff.
kos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:42 PM   #2
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

You can't return it if there is any customization. There is a 10% open box fee, plus you pay shipping and insurance. Plus, you don't even know if the new Macs will be out in January. It's all speculation.

My personal advice: Just enjoy the awesome computer you just purchased.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:43 PM   #3
Patmian212
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kos
I have just purchased a new 15in powerbook from the apple education site, from the terms and conditions it says you can return the powerbook within 14 calander days or since it chrismas 8th Jan 06 so i was wondering do you have to pay for delivery when returning a powerbook as i may return it and purchase a Mactel well whatever is release in january. Anyone got a clue if they charge you to return stuff.
If the plastic was taken off the box I think there is a 10% restocking fee.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:54 PM   #4
After G
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to After G Send a message via Yahoo to After G
A Mactel isn't worth the restock fee plus whatever more you'd have to pay for one. Intels are possibly more expensive than PPC.
After G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 02:32 PM   #5
macOSX-tastic
macrumors 6502a

also bear in mind that intel based macs will be rev. a, which means that apple will be working out the kinks. they are a zillion times more likely to have design /software issues than later models. you have just purchased one of the most versatile powerful and sexy laptop computers on the planet....to throw all that away in the name of pure speculation is (if you dont mind me saying so) a bit, er, silly.

PowerBook G4 15"
My photos on Jetphotos.net - more added regularly!
Name that animal in my 'tar!
macOSX-tastic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Sunrunner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by After G
A Mactel isn't worth the restock fee plus whatever more you'd have to pay for one. Intels are possibly more expensive than PPC.
I doubt the more expensive part. The commoditization of Intel processors over typical volumes makes component costs rather low. This effect is mitigated though if Intel produces a processor with Apple in mind as a sole customer.
Sunrunner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 02:44 PM   #7
yellow

Not only is there a restocking fee, plus there's the possibility that a suitable MacTel won't be available for a while..

Do you REALLY want the 1stGen of the MacTel laptop (assuming it magically became available)? I'd advise you against that, particularly if this is your first Mac.
yellow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 03:12 PM   #8
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

If its not opened you have nothing to lose by returning it and waiting to see what comes out @ MWSF.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 04:12 PM   #9
generik
Banned

Personally if the rev-e was truly the final PPC revision I'd just max out its memory and hold on to it till Merom.

From Dothan to Yonah is nothing special... but Merom does present a more revolutionary change.
generik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:28 PM   #10
ortuno2k
macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't wait till Apple releases a Mac with an Intel CPU to buy one. I won't be the one to "test out" the problems and such.
I suggest stick to the already-mature Power PC processor and wait until the Intel Macs get better. Plus who knows if they're really releasing a PB in January?
They may also be more money, like someone suggested.
Plus, remember. Right now, 100% of Mac users are running on Power PC CPUs. Which means that all the apps are written for the Power PC (OSX can do both).
Rosetta's supposed to translate apps that run on PPC to run on Intel, but how well is that really going to run? We all saw it on Mr. Job's demo last June, but remember; he was running a really fast CPU with 2GB of RAM.
I don't know about waiting for MacTel...I'd buy one of the current models now if I were you (I already did, just waiting for mine).
Good luck on your decision.
ortuno2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs