Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'd appreciate some help.

I've tried multiple adjustment layers, level adjustments, channel mixes, three or four different plugins from Fred Miranda, exposure, brightness and contrast....curve adjustments in all three channels.... the kitchen sink.

I even put them in Aperture to see if that would help. I'm stuck.

I had my head in a book all night last night trying to figure out how to make this crap I am getting lately look better (not pastel and fake looking).

#1:

Image-F96F3ECA6D9111DA.jpg

#2:

Image-F96F53EC6D9111DA.jpg

Any help appreciated.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I'm in Switzerland at the moment and forgot to put Photoshop on my new powerbook before I left, so I can't play, but I think you might be running into problems with the fact that both pictures have some gradient in contrast from one side to another. Since you have this gradient, whatever adjustments you do to the picture as a whole will turn out leaving one part of it looking crappy...can you put gradients into adjustment layers? That would help but I don't know...

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
OutThere said:
I'm in Switzerland at the moment and forgot to put Photoshop on my new powerbook before I left, so I can't play, but I think you might be running into problems with the fact that both pictures have some gradient in contrast from one side to another. Since you have this gradient, whatever adjustments you do to the picture as a whole will turn out leaving one part of it looking crappy...can you put gradients into adjustment layers? That would help but I don't know...

Yeah, I tried that - thanks, though.

That's the problem with the pics - they are backlit (into the sun) and hazy. The backlit part of the image is overexposed, leaves the rest of the image underexposed and the light illuminates the haze.

The folks I work for didn't have a problem with the best I could do with these until lately when they played around with highlights and shadows - they think just jacking the highlights is OK, but the images still do not look good.

Blah.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
im not really sure what your looking for gary, the photo lacks contrast and a little saturation and of course the blown little bits here and there, but without knowing exactly what your looking for (or more specifically what you 'cant' do) then im lost :p

EDIT: Might be best if you post your efforts so we can see which direction you going in?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That haze sucks

The first one I pulled out the shadows and highlights using the shadow/highlight filter.

The second one I copied the image to a second layer, layer masked a gradient from top left down to lower right, multiplied the layer and set opacity around 50%

Then flattened the whole thing and adjusted the levels again.

Working in hires and 16bit will help, though, so your originals will work better.

And the end results weren't much better but I think it helps a bit.

D

Attachments

• Image-F96F3ECA6D9111DA.jpg
    Image-F96F3ECA6D9111DA.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Image-F96F53EC6D9111DA.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 163

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Here is one I did - I need to desaturate it a bit, but they approved it.

Still ugly, but less ugly, I guess.

Before:

After:

Image-1536C9EF6D9E11DA.jpg

Crap in, crap out, I always say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.