Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DVemer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
This issue occurred to me as well after I eventually decided to upgrade my Macbook Air 1.1 from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to Lion 10.7.4.

I backed-up my user profile using Carbon Copy Cloner and then wiped the SSD for a clean install of Lion. Install went smoothly.

Lion however puts strain on the Macbook Air 1.1 with the laptop running hotter for longer. After 1 day and 1 night of running Lion suddenly the Air would not charge with no light on the Magsafe plug at all and the Menu Bar showing "not charging" - battery stuck at 45%.

Long story short....
I hauled out my Snow Leopard install disc, deleted Lion and did a clean install of Snow Leopard 10.6. After the install I checked everything was running, then I unplugged the magsafe adaptor from the laptop (Which was still showing "Not charging" 45%) and the wall. I then switched the laptop off - as in "Shutdown" and left it alone for the night.

Next morning I power up the laptop (without plugging it in) and it's showing the correct battery info. Plug in magsafe and it charges as per normal. Something in Lion messed with my Macbook Air and I'm not going to try another install. The Macbook Air 1.1 is a much happier and speedier puppy on Snow Leopard anyway. ;-)

I've updated to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 from the original install using the combo update and everything is still working as it should 4 days later...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.