Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoadRashTX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
ok, I just inherited an old imac 333Mhz from a friend. It has been working fine all week in OS 9.2.2 and then this morning I turned it on and it booted into OS X. I called my friend and she said at one point she had installed X but it messed something up so she uninstalled it.

Obviously it looks like she did not get it completely uninstalled. This imac is too slow to run X and I am curious as to why it all of a sudden booted in to X if it had been booting into 9.2.2 all week.

When in OS X I was going to change the startup disk back to OS 9.2.2 in the system preferences, but in the system preferences there are no options. The window is completely empty.

Can anyone tell me how to get back to booting in OS 9? Also, I do not have any of the discs. She just gave me the imac.

thanks in advance.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
After G said:
try holding down the option key at startup.
That usually only works if you have your drive partitioned, like Mac OS X on one part of the Hard Drive, and Mac OS 9 on the other partition.

If you have a Mac OS 9.1 or higher Startup/Install CD (Preferably 9.2) boot up with it, you'll be able to trash the Mac OS X files and startup back to the Mac OS 9 system. Mac OS 9.0 does not have a good Startup Disk control panel and will only boot to a drive, not a specific system on the drive.

Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.