Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
I threw my ipod touch 4th generation when i was outside b/c i got very upset at something that happened today. I had the case on it it was a cheap one but basically a cover for the back of it as well and when i picked it up, basically the whole screen is cracked. The stop button came off as well. It doesnt power on at all. My questions are this

1. I assume no way to fix this screen since its basically cracked the whole place right?

2. Assuming thats the case, should i throw it down a few more times to make sure it breaks into more pieces? I have some documents there saved and worried if someone finds it in the garbage, then they could put the pieces back together. Or should i not need to worry about this.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
You could replace the screen (LCD + Glass) for fairly cheap, less than $50, I've done it for $25, but it isn't too fun to do.

But with the damage it has I don't think it would get you anywhere because it sounds like the logic board may have been damaged as it is not powering on. My question is, does iTunes recognize it at all? If it does than the board may be fine and it's just the LCD, but if it doesn't it is probably shot and I doubt anyone would be able to get anything off of it. I wouldn't worry about it in that case. Just take it somewhere to be recycled if you can.

pauly1

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2013
Yes i can still connect it to my computer. Connected to the computer and can view the documents that are stilll there. So i assume now just delete those documents and then take a hammer and break it?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Yes i can still connect it to my computer. Connected to the computer and can view the documents that are stilll there. So i assume now just delete those documents and then take a hammer and break it?

Use iTunes to restore it. That will remove any content. Find someone on Craigslist that is buying broken devices and sell it to recoup some of the cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.