Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
Hi there,

I am currently executing Drive Genius from an external Mavericks installation onto my internal hard drive. The internal drive has been zeroed on all sectors using the Shred option. On last pass, it found and spared 31 bad sectors, and I am currently running a second pass, where it found 15 bad sectors.

Should I continue running it until it doesn't return anything? The reason I am so obsessive about these is that Western Digital refuses to honour 5-year warranty under the reason they never received previously defective HDD (and I can't find its tracking number, it was too long ago).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are you saying you completed the disk repair and AFTER that when running repair again new errors have popped up? If that is the case, your drive is dying and you should chuck it in the trash.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I haven't talked about software repairs.

So should I continue scanning for bad sectors until none turn out, or will Drive Genius simply remind me of those that were already spared?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… should I continue scanning for bad sectors until none turn out,

If the first pass that resulted in sparing was a complete pass – and if there's additional sparing from a second pass with the same options in Drive Genius – then (as Weaselboy suggests) the drive has become so unreliable that you should replace it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hi there,

I am currently executing Drive Genius from an external Mavericks installation onto my internal hard drive. The internal drive has been zeroed on all sectors using the Shred option. On last pass, it found and spared 31 bad sectors, and I am currently running a second pass, where it found 15 bad sectors.

Should I continue running it until it doesn't return anything? The reason I am so obsessive about these is that Western Digital refuses to honour 5-year warranty under the reason they never received previously defective HDD (and I can't find its tracking number, it was too long ago).
You might try one more pass, but as it is popping new errors there's a drive issue.

As for WD not honoring the warranty, can you have someone else send it in? And in the future don't buy Western Digital drives. Remember Western Digital Keeps buying other disk companies. The only company off the top of my head that I know is separate is Seagate (who also keeps buying companies). Seagate does have drive with 5 year warranties as well.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
As for WD not honoring the warranty, can you have someone else send it in? And in the future don't buy Western Digital drives. Remember Western Digital Keeps buying other disk companies. The only company off the top of my head that I know is separate is Seagate (who also keeps buying companies). Seagate does have drive with 5 year warranties as well.
That is good to know, as I don't remember having significant warranty-related issues with a few Seagate drives I have. On the other hand, the warranty on this one is linked to the serial number of the drive. I doubt having somebody else sending it would make any difference. It was written in their contract, indeed, that a replaced drive carried the remainder of the warranty provided the original, defective drive is received, but only 90 days if it's not. I blame Western Digital for NOT sending any notice original drive was not received.

I chose this drive because it topped performance charts as far as 2.5" laptop drives did when I got it. No Seagate came close to it, but I welcome suggestions.

512GB SSDs are simply too expensive, and I doubt Black Friday will help much.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
There are performance rotating drives, yes. The Scorpio Black was one of these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.