Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
With the Apple-brand leather case (not the $40 smart cover, i'm talking about the $70 full-body case with smart cover) for the iPad mini, can you open the cover, flip it around, and have it lay flush against the back? I've looked at one in the box and the way it bends it doesn't look like it would lay flat against the back. While using the Mini, you'd want the cover open, obviously, and the only place to put it would be wrapped around flush against the back of the mini. I know the basic $40 smart cover does this. But can you do it with the full case, too?

Does it law flush against the back well, or only kinda-sorta? It looks like near the hindge the cover can't bend back enough to lay neatly against the back.

It would be pointless and annoying to have to use it with the cover flapping around.

If anyone has one of these $70 covers, how do you like it? Looks nice, but seems overly pricey, even for leather. And if the cover doesn't even open to lay flush against the back, it's completely worthless IMO.

fredylee

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
I have the smart case for Air n MIni Ret. Both can flap flat against the back. I had other leather cover before, and more expensive genuine leather cover than Apple (TUmi, Spigen, Kavaj). I also had my shares of cheap cases (poetic, Moko. Case crown n others).

I don't think anybody can beat the combination design, feature n weight of Apple current smart case. If u r looking for cheap, get the amazon/Chinese varieties. But if u r looking for lightest good leather case, go w Apple.

kalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
ok thanks. i'm deciding whether to get one. it's a nice looking case.

Has it worn out at all? I have the same apple leather case for my iPhone 5S and i've had it about 6 weeks and it's completely worn down. The leather is flaked/worn off and it looks like there's a strange stain on part of it when i know for certain it's never touched liquid.

I realize a lot of this wear is from being in my pocket w/ my wallet, which wouldn't occur with an ipad case. Even so, it seems like it gets gunky from the oil on my fingers. I love the look (when new) and if the cover lays flat then my one concern about functionality is abated. Still... not worth $70 for a case that's gonna wear out in a month.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I picked up the smart case tonight. It fits snug except on the left side of the screen where the cover is attached. It pulls away from the Mini on the left side and debris can enter the case here.

The cover also doesn't stay attached to the back because the magnet isn't strong enough. Im returning the case tomorrow. Definitely not worth the price of the case.

kalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I got one just now (apple store like 2 miles down the street). It works great, and the cover does lay flush w/ the back.

Mine is tight all the way around it. You should exchange it for another one. I actually had the same problem you're talking about with the same type of apple leather case I got for my iPhone, except the right side was loose. I exchanged it for another and this one fits fine (but it's worn out... that's another issue, though i won't be keeping my ipad mini in my pants pocket).

There is no magnet holding the case to the ipad mini. The only magnet is in the smart cover to turn the device on and off.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
What color case did you get on what color ipad mini? Can you post some pictures?

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I got one just now (apple store like 2 miles down the street). It works great, and the cover does lay flush w/ the back.

Mine is tight all the way around it. You should exchange it for another one. I actually had the same problem you're talking about with the same type of apple leather case I got for my iPhone, except the right side was loose. I exchanged it for another and this one fits fine (but it's worn out... that's another issue, though i won't be keeping my ipad mini in my pants pocket).

There is no magnet holding the case to the ipad mini. The only magnet is in the smart cover to turn the device on and off.

The cover fits tight but it's more of a design issue. As you pull the cover to the back of the iPad it stretches the left side and pulls it away from the iPad. I also wish the cover would cling to the back but it doesn't.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Got the product red smart case here. It's a much better fit around the tablet than the grey smart case I got for my full sized 3rd gen ipad. Cover happily folds flush with the back but has to be held there as the magnets don't hold in this position.

No signs of wear so far (had it since Tuesday); the 'seam'/ridge around the lower part of the case that the ipad itself sits in has blackened a little. It has been in and out of bags and given some serious use since Tuesday though.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Can any one update on the color of the case and how they hold up after certain period of time?

kalt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
I got the beige which looks the best with a white/silver iPad mini. Same with my white iPhone 5s... Have the same color case.

I fold the cover into a triangle and put it on the back and use it as a handle for my left hand. Can't squeeze too hard or it will come undone but it works quite well.

I was really picky when buying this and looked through all the cases there before settling on this one.

----------

The cover fits tight but it's more of a design issue. As you pull the cover to the back of the iPad it stretches the left side and pulls it away from the iPad. I also wish the cover would cling to the back but it doesn't.

Doesn't do this on mine and I'm always pulling the cover around back. Left side of the case stays flush with the iPad mini. All the time.

fredylee

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Got the product red smart case here. It's a much better fit around the tablet than the grey smart case I got for my full sized 3rd gen ipad. Cover happily folds flush with the back but has to be held there as the magnets don't hold in this position.

No signs of wear so far (had it since Tuesday); the 'seam'/ridge around the lower part of the case that the ipad itself sits in has blackened a little. It has been in and out of bags and given some serious use since Tuesday though.

I got beige for the Air, and blue for the rMini (kids). Both got the same issue as Brenster. Blackened seam/ridge around the lower part of the case where the case touch the chamfered edge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.