Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveuk82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Birmingham
since installing mavericks my kernel_task usage on the cpu is massive its making my mbp run hot and slow is there a way to fixthis please

daveuk82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Birmingham
Kernel_task

What kernel task? Did you try to quit that task in /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor yet?
It is just called kernel_task and I attempted to quit it but the option was greyed out as it seems to be a essential things the os needs after some further digging it appears that this is a bug in mavericks and I've got 3 options 1 try and fix it. 2 wait for apple to fix it 3. Revert back to mountain lion

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
No. Some third party programs make kernel tasks that might not be supported in 10.9. Say like a external port device like an Express card for the older Mac Pro or older Mac Book Express Card drivers.

Since it is PID 0, there is only one task--the first one. Do you mean some programs require assistance from kernel_task? As in creating threads? So I suppose that could cause a spike in CPU usage if the program is not compatible.

Vianney

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2013
the solution!

Hello world,

Apple told me the solution: you must delete your account's cache files. this solutions works perfectecly on my macbook pro 13 mid-2012.

in the finder : go to your account folder, find the "Preferences" folder and empty it.

After go to Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/"System Configuration" and empty it.

Clean the bean and reboot your Mac

You will loose all your account preferences, your different desktops, JAVA and X11 (Maybe) but your mac will go faster!!!!

Sorry for my English, I'm French. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.