Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jim468

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Hi all,

I own a mid 2011 Macbook Air 13" model. Lately I have been noticing some kind of distortion on my screen when I view some images. I have attached a screen shot of my screen as an example.

Have any of you noticed something similar? Is this an issue with my iGPU? Upgrading to 10.9 did not help.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 1.07.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 1.07.22 AM.png
    667.1 KB · Views: 156

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I don't think this is a GPU issue. It is probably something to do with software. This is why I think that:

1) You could take a screenshot of it. The GPU is what takes the data it is given by the OS and displays it on the screen. Correct me of I'm wrong, but snapshots are that data in its original form, as in it doesn't go through the GPU to capture.

2) It is central to pictures. GPU issues usually are just there, no matter what is on the screen. Am I right to assume that when you scroll away from the picture the glitch will move with it?

3) Simply updating to mavericks might not fix it because much of mavericks isn't updated from mountain lion and wasn't overwritten by new software, therefore carrying over the same problems.

I would, just in case, reboot the computer holding down the "D" key and run a hardware test. That will tell you if there are any problems. If it says everything is fine it will probably be software and you will need to do a clean install of lion, mountain lion, or mavericks. You can google for guides on how to do that.

Last edited:

jim468

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Almost Definitely? Get it checked out.

Yea. I have an appointment with Genius bar tomorrow.

----------

I don't think this is a GPU issue. It is probably something to do with software. This is why I think that:

1) You could take a screenshot of it. The GPU is what takes the data it is given by the OS and displays it on the screen. Correct me of I'm wrong, but snapshots are that data in its original form, as in it doesn't go through the GPU to capture.

2) It is central to pictures. GPU issues usually are just there, no matter what is on the screen. Am I right to assume that when you scroll away from the picture the glitch will move with it?

3) Simply updating to mavericks might not fix it because much of mavericks isn't updated from mountain lion and wasn't overwritten by new software, therefore carrying over the same problems.

I would, just in case, reboot the computer holding down the "D" key and run a hardware test. That will tell you if there are any problems. If it says everything is fine it will probably be software and you will need to do a clean install of lion, mountain lion, or mavericks. You can google for guides on how to do that.

Thanks. I will try to run the hardware test. Also, I am able to see such distortion occasionally while watching some online videos too.

jim468

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Just an update.

I went to the Apple store today and showed them this issue. They said that is it an issue with the logic board, and will be replacing it.

jim468

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Thanks for the update! So many threads just die...

You are welcome. I gave my MBA to apple store for repair on Monday. They said they will return in 3-5 business days. I will update here again once I get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.