Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenew

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
So I work at a digital branding / content creation firm and for the past few months we've experimented a lot with gifs since a lot of our content is generated for tumblr and other social media platforms.

anyway, clients have started to get quite an appetite for high-quality original animated gif content. a lot of it we generate from video clips we shoot specifically with gif-output in mind. However, a good bit is more on the stop-motion side of things, and there's a lot of compositing I'd like to do.

Photoshop is great for most purposes, but it gets really tricky and cumbersome to perform some more advanced effects, especially compositing separate animations into a single document..

I was curious if there is any software out there that is more of a cross between Photoshop and Premiere or After Effects.. Or do I just have to hope that Adobe sees value in expanding Photoshop's animation capabilities next time?

At least from an advertising media standpoint, I don't see this medium going away anytime soon.. We work with a lot of artists who get very creative with gifs. Maybe there will be an update to the file format at some point to allow more colors and semi-transparency (say, 50% instead of just 0 or 100)..

Hm.

Thoughts?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
The only worthwhile GIF-animation software I've personally used is... Adobe Fireworks. Incidentally it's also discontinued. Hmm.

I also used it a lot for other stuff, like some vector and sprite work, but there was no other app quite like it. I'm hoping Pixelmator will adopt some GIF features sometime, preferable in FW style instead of PS, but I'm not holding out on anything...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.