Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asenna

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Just picked up a silver 32GB ipad mini with retina and the LCD seems like it has a 1-2mm border around it that is of a bluish hue. It is most visible on white websites and is stronger on top and sides and almost non existent on the bottom. Anyone else experiencing this? It's more acceptable than having a blotchy yellow screen so I probably won't return. Just adding some more stuff to be OCD about. Bluegate? Steve would have never allowed this. At least Safari feels snappier :D:

hec09

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
Just picked up a silver 32GB ipad mini with retina and the LCD seems like it has a 1-2mm border around it that is of a bluish hue. It is most visible on white websites and is stronger on top and sides and almost non existent on the bottom. Anyone else experiencing this? It's more acceptable than having a blotchy yellow screen so I probably won't return. Just adding some more stuff to be OCD about. Bluegate? Steve would have never allowed this. At least Safari feels snappier :D:

Yeah in portrait mode it's on the right and left side... I see it during white backgrounds.

Benson86

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
It's not on all of them. When I ordered my new mini I bought two, one of each color, just to save the hassle of having to wait or drive to the apple store 2 hours away for an exchange. I hoped one would have a good screen.

The space grey had a screen like you describe, blue bleed on the top and yellow bleed on the bottom, nothing to awful, but it was there. The white has a good screen, no bleed anywhere, even whites.

Now I can return the grey one hassle free :p

lshirase

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Hmm, I don't see it on mine.

edit: please take a picture of yours!

Last edited:

JmJ17

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2005
Only a comment: My iPad 3rd generation had this problem. A bluy "halo" arrounds the borders very appreciable in a white page.

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Yep, I have the same on my 32GB Space Grey. Probably going to get it exchanged next week.

ChrisLTD

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
Same problem on my 32GB space gray, blueish tint at the right and left edges in portrait... I'm afraid to return it, but now that I've seen it, I can't un-see it.

Bstephens

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Just wait till you scratch it and then take it back. By then the samsungs should be in circulation.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
It might be due to backlight bleeding, at least this is the case on my iPad Air. If you are in an entirely dark room and load a black image, you can see if that is the problem. I am going to return the Air, which is unfortunate since it is fine otherwise.

Mic'sBook

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2010
Hong Kong
I thought it was related to the oleophobic coating of the display.
But reading forums on the Web, it seems it's related to the display itself.

I've just taken a photo of it, with the lowest brightness level in a dark room.
It may not represent the issue clearly but just for others' reference.

I don't think I'm gonna exchange another one because sometimes the purple tint issue on the top of the display isn't quite visible and I'm happily using my iPad mini with Retina display. (Ignorance is bliss? :rolleyes:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 577

ChrisLTD

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
Same problem on my 32GB space gray, blueish tint at the right and left edges in portrait... I'm afraid to return it, but now that I've seen it, I can't un-see it.

I returned it for the last 32gb gray wifi model they had at the 5th Ave store. The new model still has a faint bit of blue, but it's almost impossible to see. Much better than my first model. I also ran Marco's image retention test, and nothing showed up.

The new screen is actually warmer/yellower than the first model I had. But I actually prefer that to the blueish tint. It does seem to get slightly more yellow towards the bottom as well, but you'd have really stare to see it.

All in all, it's a keeper now.

P.S. I tested some of the other iPad minis on display and all of them had the slightest blue at the edge. None were quite as bad as mine was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.