Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
So I need some suggestions on how to bend my case back to how it should be, I hope I provided enough images, yes this is causing issues, my computer sits at a terrible angle and every now and then makes odd noises uniting I hold it straight.

Any suggestions? It looks like it was dropped and the bottom part was bent? (I bought the computer like this)

(Sorry, first two images refused to rotate properly)

Attachments

• photo 1-1.JPG
    photo 1-1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 309
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 217
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 407

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
How does this happen? I have seen a ton of these units with this issue. Maybe try warming it up with a heat gun or hair dryer and the carefully push it with your hands (with gloves)? Just an idea....

You do realize this is tempered aluminum and not plastic.
A heat gun is not going to cut it, an acetylene torch yes, but then you'd more then likely create other problems.

Umbreon

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
This often happens when the PM G5 (or MacPro) has been packed incompetently, then its shipping box is dropped. A professional-grade packing job makes sure that the bottom of the case (not the legs) are supported by packaging; that way the legs don't absorb the stress of being dropped--they may look spring-like, but they're not impact-absorbing. These machines weigh over 40 lbs., so quite a bit of force needs to be absorbed when their shipping box is dropped.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
So any ideas? Haha, I figured that it was because of those reasons, i dont want to beat the Mac with a hammer..

gobsmacked

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2013
Alberta, Canada
PowerMac G5 Case issue

So I need some suggestions on how to bend my case back to how it should be, I hope I provided enough images, yes this is causing issues, my computer sits at a terrible angle and every now and then makes odd noises uniting I hold it straight.

Any suggestions? It looks like it was dropped and the bottom part was bent? (I bought the computer like this)

(Sorry, first two images refused to rotate properly)
Your pictures could have been of my case. Mine had been dropped in shipping.
The problem in trying to fix it is that the aluminum springs back a bit after you have straightened it so you have to actually bend it a little past where you want it to be. But, the case is in the way. I used C clamps (heavy duty screw kind). 3 of them along the bottom to hold it flat to the table and then a large one at right angles to try and pull in the edge that was protruding. It was still a little wonky, but nowhere near as bad. I stuck a door wedge under it so that it would stand upright.
Eventually, I just replaced the case. You may just want to use the door wedge trick.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Yes, I am quite aware, I have three PMG5 in my possession currently. At least I offered an idea.....maybe a poor one, but it was something.

I know, thank you :) to be serious not rude, I would just rather not do that, dont want the risk

Your pictures could have been of my case. Mine had been dropped in shipping.
The problem in trying to fix it is that the aluminum springs back a bit after you have straightened it so you have to actually bend it a little past where you want it to be. But, the case is in the way. I used C clamps (heavy duty screw kind). 3 of them along the bottom to hold it flat to the table and then a large one at right angles to try and pull in the edge that was protruding. It was still a little wonky, but nowhere near as bad. I stuck a door wedge under it so that it would stand upright.
Eventually, I just replaced the case. You may just want to use the door wedge trick.

Thats kind of what I was thinking just not the tool.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
bent it back with a hammer (just bent it didn't smack the computer (Im against Technology abuse) and have it sitting upside down to hold its place

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Exact same thing happened to my old G5.

As someone above mentioned it's easy enough to hit it with a hammer (there's enough force there) but it's the elasticity that is the issue.

The first thing I did was to take the 'loose' parts out of the G5 (ie. GPU, hard drives). I then got a 2x4 in underneath the handle & used that as a lever to counteract the bowing in the foot (this also helped somewhat in 'squeezing' the foot as a whole back into shape).

After that I wrapped my G5 in a quilt to absorb as much pressure a possible, wrapped a standard little wood hammer in a flannel - and just sat there, patiently tapping away fairly gently (but with considerable force) until I got some sort of shape back - trying different parts of where the foot is bent.

It still, then wasn't 100% perfect, but the G5 stood upright perfectly well & the door went on without an issue.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Exact same thing happened to my old G5.

As someone above mentioned it's easy enough to hit it with a hammer (there's enough force there) but it's the elasticity that is the issue.

The first thing I did was to take the 'loose' parts out of the G5 (ie. GPU, hard drives). I then got a 2x4 in underneath the handle & used that as a lever to counteract the bowing in the foot (this also helped somewhat in 'squeezing' the foot as a whole back into shape).

After that I wrapped my G5 in a quilt to absorb as much pressure a possible, wrapped a standard little wood hammer in a flannel - and just sat there, patiently tapping away fairly gently (but with considerable force) until I got some sort of shape back - trying different parts of where the foot is bent.

It still, then wasn't 100% perfect, but the G5 stood upright perfectly well & the door went on without an issue.

hmm.. I have a really poofy comforter... but i just plugged it all back in hahaha

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
I have it sitting with a hammer wedged in the gap from the bottom of the computer to the bottom of the base, hopefully it will be good to go shortly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.