Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Look , the IPOD touch is a thing of the past... Left out from the lat A7 upgrade for all.... Why put an Iphone retina display is a second rate profit device OR put it in the IPHONE and rake in the profit...

SO Stop holding your breath and buy an IPAD mini.... even up to 128 GB...

At some point when Apple has raped in all the profit for THE 5s version of the Iphone, And the A7 is two years old... Then the IPod touch will get an upgrade...

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I agree that the iPod touch is too expensive considering the processor is 2-3 years old now. That being said, the iPad mini is too big for some uses where the iPod touch or iPhone are perfect.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I carry my Touch 5 with me. The iPad Mini 2 doesn't have the portability of a Touch 5.

Besides, the Touch 5 runs IOS 7 great so there currently is no need for an A7 in it :D.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Why put an Iphone retina display is a second rate profit device OR put it in the IPHONE and rake in the profit...

There has been a memo floating around a while ago which you apparently didn't happen to read. If you could add an introductory paragraph to your TPS posts – that'd be terrific.

Oh, it also stated that the displays on the iPod Touch are not as good as the ones on the iPhone.

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Look , the IPOD touch is a thing of the past... Left out from the lat A7 upgrade for all.... Why put an Iphone retina display is a second rate profit device OR put it in the IPHONE and rake in the profit...

At some point when Apple has raped in all the profit for THE 5s version of the Iphone, And the A7 is two years old... Then the IPod touch will get an upgrade...
Lets analyze this a bit

Firstly lets compare the iPod touch to iPhone instead, since its form factor and specs relate more to that.

iPod touch 5 -$300 - iPhone 5 Screen, iPhone 4s Specs.
iPhone 4s - $450 - Telephony
iPhone 5 - $550 - Telephony

So basically for so much cheaper, you get a much bigger device than 4s with the same specs, and not forgetting so lighter and thinner.

And I don't get it how you can relate iPod touch to iPad other than their lack of Calling support. iPod may have been the mother of iPad, but don't forget that the iPhone came from the same womb.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You tell them, OP! :cool:

I'm pretty sure that as portable as the mini is, people still prefer to carry on their phones/iPod touches.

While the cost to specs arguments is valid, the size and use argument are not, IMO. Someone is not really going to buy an iPad mini instead of a iPod or vice verse, they just serve different markets and uses, from my experience anyway.

iPods are perfect for using as a portable music device - their original use. iPad Mini's are just to large for that use unless you are just using it for in auto listening. As for the A7 chip, you really do not need it in a iPod as their primary use is music playing. That said I am sure that they will put it in once the parts stream is fully tooled for the A7 chip, it would cost more at that point to use a old chip that would be made just for one product.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Ipad mini will never replace ipod touch. NEVER!!!

First of all, it is a tweener. Too small for a tablet and too big for pmp.

Its still look weird to me holding 8 inch device to play street figher x tekken. Ipad mini 2 got slamed for its subpar screen and Ipad mini 1 is even worst with the low resolution.

Ipod touch 5 screen is perfect, a lot nicer to play game on a smaller but clearer screen.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
I disagree. The iPod Touch is perfect for those who can't get/don't want an iPhone. There are many people who pair one with an Android phone for instance. Also, it's not very convenient to bring a Mini to the gym, or on a train. Used to have a 2nd gen Touch that I use for jogging and just leave in the car. Kinda regret selling it off.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I use the mini mainly in Bed for listening to music, for that use even the mini is too large to deal with, I can fall asleep with my mini in the case and it won't strangle me when I turn over.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
The iPad mini is too large for my liking. It doesn't go into the pocket as easily as an iPod touch can. I think Apple will be losing me as a customer the moment they stop updating the iPod touch, due to the mini being more pricey and too big for my liking. I won't buy an iPhone due to it not supporting certain carriers and even then I would need an unlocked version. I would hate to shell out $700 on a phone that I will mainly use as an iPod touch every year anyway. If there was a way to use a top end $399 iPhone without the 2 year contract and using it as an iPod touch I would be SOLD. Otherwise, forget it. The A5 still performs pretty well I think with iOS 8 we can probably see lag.

BradOntCa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2010
Canada
I just returned the new mini

I still have my Ipod touch and wanted the larger screen to use as a take with me photo album, the screen has a yellow cast that was driving me nuts, and, on top of that, while looking at pictures and trying some games the other night in the dark there was light bleeding coming from the bottom of the screen. I was bummed and back to best buy here in Canada it went, $475.00 after tax is a joke for something that is only 16gb and has screen issues, other than that it would have been a great tablet as it was very fast.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Oh, it also stated that the displays on the iPod Touch are not as good as the ones on the iPhone.

Read it carefully. The manufacturing of the display in the touch isn't as good as the manufacturing of the display in the iPhone (Touch uses more glue). That's because the Touch is much thinner than the iPhone. In terms of viewing angle, pixels, gamut, brightness, etc, the Touch display is exactly the same as the iPhone display.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
It's funny how Apple is narrowing in on the one single perfect device, but is not quite there. The perfect device would be in iPad Mini Mini, or iPod Touch with approximately a 5" screen, whatever you want to call it. 128 gb memory (or SD slot expandable to 128 gb), and no-contract data plan starting at $15/month. If that existed, I would probably not use a tablet or a cell phone. The iPad Mini is almost that except you can't fit it in your pocket. For a person who carries a purse, the current iPad Mini probably does the job.

Jonzjob

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Nr Carcassonne, South France
I also agree with the fact that the mini is too big to be shoved into a pocket, especially a shirt pocket like my 2nd gen Touch can. It's 16 gig, has a boat load of my photos and enough songs and French lessons to last me a month or so without repeats. That's enough for me. It has been going well for several years now and as a retired IBM hardware engineer I work on the principle of 'if it isn't broken then don't mend it.'

OK, it doesn't have a camera, but I have a very good DSLR that takes better photos than a Touch can anyway. The camera is lousy for listening to music too. Horses for courses really. I have to admit to always being amused by people who have to hold their iPad/iPod/iPhones up at arms length to take photos, especially the posers with the full size iPads, trying to hod the case from flapping in front of the tiny lens :D

I haven't even had any problems with the battery and if/when I do I will replace the battery and I am sure it will be as good as new again..

Zellio

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2012
I guess if you carry an ipad mini in your pocket you must be really large.

I'm muscular and I carry an ipad mini in my pocket to the gym (well, I did until I got an iPod nano 6th gen with watch attachment for music and nike+)... You just need big pockets. Watching netflix or YouTube on a treadmill beats nothing on a treadmill.....

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

LOL, maybe for you but not my family. In fact, will be buying two more iPod T5s (32GB) for Christmas gifts. Mini is cute, but not mobile enough compared to the iPod T5.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
You just need big pockets. .....

Thats interesting, however, I dont see teenagers or most women having such large pockets. Even I dont, and I am a gymnast

To the OP, I would like to point that the ipod touch is destinated to the market of users who dislike the design of an iphone, but want to have iOS in their pockets, so they carry their original phone + ipod touch.

Losts of people have a taste for actuall keys, or flip phones

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think the mini and touch have different uses. I have both. The touch is the device you can take everywhere and the mini is good to use as a tablet on the go when you need s bigger screen.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England

I wonder if the iPod touch will be replaced by a 5" iPad Nano next year?

They could then merge the iPod shuffle and nano into an all new music only focussed iPod. Light and portable with a small screen and a much cheaper price tag. Dare I say it they could even make it look like a watch or partner with clothing manufacturers to make it a wearable device.

If you look at all their marketing it's all about iPhone and iPad. The poor old iPod doesn't even get a mention on the iTunes AppStore. You can chose either iPhone or iPad apps. I know most of the iPhone apps also work on the iPod touch but the message is clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.