Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Ever since I updated to iOS 7.0 my do not disturb on my iPhone 5 has not worked as advertised. When do not disturb is enabled, calls, text messages and and voicemails would come through to my phone as if the feature was not even enabled in the first place.

Someone on the Apple forums found a solution… If you subscribe to call display and name display...for some reason name display stops do not disturb from working. If you call your cellular supplier and ask them to disable name display you will soon find that do not disturb works perfectly as advertised.

Give it a try and report back your findings.

Thanks and good luck.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Ever since I updated to iOS 7.0 my do not disturb on my iPhone 5 has not worked as advertised. When do not disturb is enabled, calls, text messages and and voicemails would come through to my phone as if the feature was not even enabled in the first place.

Someone on the Apple forums found a solution… If you subscribe to call display and name display...for some reason name display stops do not disturb from working. If you call your cellular supplier and ask them to disable name display you will soon find that do not disturb works perfectly as advertised.

Give it a try and report back your findings.

Thanks and good luck.

Do you know what DND (Do Not Disturb) feature is? It isnt related to your issue at all. Maybe you are talking about callers block feature?

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Do you know what DND (Do Not Disturb) feature is? It isnt related to your issue at all. Maybe you are talking about callers block feature?

Ummm no, I know exactly what I'm talking about. If anyone here was going through the same problems I and countless others were and still are you will know what I am referring to my original post.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
to all naysayers, DND can allow calls from certain people through, so i don't think it's inconceivable 'name display' could affect DND functionality.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
HERE IS THE ORIGINAL POST FROM THE GUY I MENTIONED THAT FIGURED OUT THE SOLUTION...I DONT KNOW WHY DND CONFLICTS WITH NAME DISPLAY (NOT NUMBER DISPLAY)

(I know that not everyone in this thread has the same issues I do, even though your symptoms may be similar. However, I hope this helps some of you.)

For the past two weeks, Apple engineers have had me conduct extensive tests and reviewed my iPhone’s console logs. They’ve determined that my issues with Do Not Disturb and Call Block not properly silencing incoming calls are directly related to the Name Display option on my Rogers mobile account (I assume this will be the same for Fido customers, since Fido is also a Rogers brand).

I was able to confirm this by having Rogers temporarily disable Name Display on my account, after which my iPhone’s Do Not Disturb and Call Block immediately began to work as advertised.

Apple says this is a carrier issue that I must now pursue with Rogers, but I don’t think it’s that simple. The fact is, Do Not Disturb worked perfectly fine in iOS 6 on my current iPhone 5. I’ve also made no changes to my mobile account since 2012. Nevertheless, I observed Do Not Disturb stop working after I updated to iOS 7.0.2, which suggests to me that it is a software problem in iOS 7.

Either way, my next step will be to ask Rogers to look into Name Display compatibility with iOS 7 and, if necessary, work with Apple to resolve these issues. I’m not optimistic… but I love Name Display too much to give it up without trying.

----------

And bottom line, after I too had name display disabled my DND and block list also started to work as advertised!

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Another persons post from Apple support website....

So I called rogers iPhone tech support on this issue and they did a test for me. They called me with a number that has a name display, I then blocked that number and had them disable name display on my phone. Then when they called back, the call was successfully blocked. They put me on hold while they discussed it with level 2 tech support who were also able to recreate the issue, and said that they did get another customer with this issue today. So they opened a ticket # for me and said someone would text or call me back within 72 hrs. In the meantime they disabled name display on my phone. Hopefully this helps to get the issue resolved, but if think it does not hurt to have more rogers customers call in to tech support and report this issue.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
And another person who disabled call name display who now has DND working again...

I was having the same problem with DND not working (I am also in the ROGERS network). Thanks to the postings I was able to get the problem solved quicky by asking the ROGERS support person to disable the NAME DISPLAY in my account. Ideally this should be fixed by APPLE or ROGERS, bottom line, this was working fine until I upgraded to 7.0.3 (if I recall correctly). Anyway, I wish to thank all of the people posting because it ionly took me a few minutes on the line with ROGERS to disable the NAME DISPLAY and get the DND feature working.

Splimmy

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
Yea call blocking doesn't work for me either because I, too, use Rogers and name display.

Apple saying it's something on the carrier's side is laughable at best. The fact that iBlacklist always worked for me and this won't means that it's entirely a problem with iOS 7. But hey they don't want to admit that; let's blame it on something totally unrelated and call it a day.

Such a basic feature and they managed to screw it up.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Yea call blocking doesn't work for me either because I, too, use Rogers and name display.

Apple saying it's something on the carrier's side is laughable at best. The fact that iBlacklist always worked for me and this won't means that it's entirely a problem with iOS 7. But hey they don't want to admit that; let's blame it on something totally unrelated and call it a day.

Such a basic feature and they managed to screw it up.

Hey there, I don't know 100% but I'd have to assume that if you removed name display from your account it would make iblacklist start to work again.

Splimmy

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
Hey there, I don't know 100% but I'd have to assume that if you removed name display from your account it would make iblacklist start to work again.

No I'm saying iBlackList always works. Name display or not.

But Apple's call blocking seems to not play nice with name display, so this is an issue on Apple's end and they're trying to pass it off like a carrier issue.

I'm pretty sure I know why, too; their code probably checks/performs a comparison on the caller ID and not the actual calling number.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No I'm saying iBlackList always works. Name display or not.

But Apple's call blocking seems to not play nice with name display, so this is an issue on Apple's end and they're trying to pass it off like a carrier issue.

I'm pretty sure I know why, too; their code probably checks/performs a comparison on the caller ID and not the actual calling number.
Probably because it's implemented differently. Since Apple's blocking is done on the server level likely via iCloud in some way--given that blocking should be shared between your devices, at least as far as I understand--rather than something purely local and thus different like iBlackList. So, it's not necessarily an Apple fail type of thing, but perhaps a limitation of how Apple's implementation of it has to work (doing it server-side, to get all the other benefits of that).

Splimmy

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
No, it's local. The only thing server-related is syncing the list.

Otherwise it wouldn't make sense for people without an internet connection.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
And another person who disabled call name display who now has DND working again...

I was having the same problem with DND not working (I am also in the ROGERS network). Thanks to the postings I was able to get the problem solved quicky by asking the ROGERS support person to disable the NAME DISPLAY in my account. Ideally this should be fixed by APPLE or ROGERS, bottom line, this was working fine until I upgraded to 7.0.3 (if I recall correctly). Anyway, I wish to thank all of the people posting because it ionly took me a few minutes on the line with ROGERS to disable the NAME DISPLAY and get the DND feature working.

Interesting, but there isn't any "name display" option in Italian (but I think is European) network ...
I can't understand what it means. On gsm network when someone call you, you can read his number unless he has the "caller id" disabled on his phone.
You can see his name on your phone if his number is associated with a contact in your phone.
It's all on the device (caller/receiver) side, not on the network :confused:

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
Do Not Disturb is for blocking certain sounds, notifications, and stuff like only your mother can contact you or nobody at all until you turn it off.

It's for when you want to keep your phone on, but for sleeping.

If you want to block calls and texts from certain numbers, then that's Caller ID.

Or maybe it's just buggy. :confused:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Do Not Disturb is for blocking certain sounds, notifications, and stuff like only your mother can contact you or nobody at all until you turn it off.

It's for when you want to keep your phone on, but for sleeping.

If you want to block calls and texts from certain numbers, then that's Caller ID.

Or maybe it's just buggy. :confused:
The problem is that it seems for some it didn't properly block calls when it should have and it seems that at least in some cases it might be related to how caller ID and name display settings are passed to the phone by the carrier.

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
The question is: why Apple thinks that you only get disturbed by calls and not by other notifications such as sms, email, etc.? Do not disturb only silences calls, huh? Very idiotic!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The question is: why Apple thinks that you only get disturbed by calls and not by other notifications such as sms, email, etc.? Do not disturb only silences calls, huh? Very idiotic!
Why would you think it only silences calls? :confused: It specifically silences all notifications, while giving you some options to allow some or all calls to come trough if you wish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.