Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Posted an hour ago and no replies? Bring on the Sopranos! :D

Where's CBS in all of this? I see CSI being a huge hit on iTMS for them, no doubt. Maybe CBS is holding out for a more lucrative offer from Apple?

Here's to the Crazy Ones

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
do they really have any other choice? hopping on iTunes is the cool thing for networks to do, now they all have to or they'll be deprived of yet another way to rip people off :rolleyes:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Lacero said:
Where's CBS in all of this?
Viacom is suspiscously quiet. Some Nickelodeon programming would be great for the kids.

Unless of course they are firmly in the Microsoft camp (or have entered some long term agreement with MS). The recent MTV Urge announcement could be evidence of this. Also, Nick already offers some programming streamed on demand in WMV format. :(

B

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Let me just say that as a parent of small children, I would seriously consider getting the Sopranos on ibook/ video ipod, so as not to subject the kids to the possibility of hearing the F-bomb. I also have not had HBO for 4 or 5 years, so I have some catching up to do. Bring it on, HBO, and think about starting a new .99 pricing model! :D

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
iTunes Is Not An Exclusive

CBS and HBO and Showtime etc all need to join iTunes just to have that outlet like all other sources will by the end of 2006. It won't matter how many different distribution schemes they join. Consumers will choose to get their programming in all sorts of ways. Not being part of iTunes will only hurt any of the programmers who don't let their catalogs sell there.

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
It seems to me to make a lot of sense for HBO to distribute their content on iTunes. It's, of course, another source of revenue for them, and it's a great way for people to sample HBO's content without having to subscribe to the channel. HBO may experience a rise in subscribership as a result of selling/marketing their content on iTunes.

Adjunct: I would scoop up every episode of Rome in a second. I've never enjoyed a TV series so much.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
balamw said:
Viacom is suspiscously quiet. Some Nickelodeon programming would be great for the kids.

Unless of course they are firmly in the Microsoft camp (or have entered some long term agreement with MS). The recent MTV Urge announcement could be evidence of this. Also, Nick already offers some programming streamed on demand in WMV format. :(

B

I agree. Viacom is up to something, as suggested by the MTV announcement. I've been surprised at how quickly the major media companies have been jumping on the iPod video bandwagon-- after all, the conventional wisdom has been that these companies previously signed on with Apple for music distribution only because Apple was considered to be a weak player, and therefore not a "threat." Obviously, circumstances have changed since then, so it stands to reason that some media companies might be more reluctant to sign up with Apple on the video round.

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
Multimedia said:
CBS and HBO and Showtime etc all need to join iTunes just to have that outlet like all other sources will by the end of 2006. It won't matter how many different distribution schemes they join. Consumers will choose to get their programming in all sorts of ways. Not being part of iTunes will only hurt any of the programmers who don't let their catalogs sell there.

Thats a very good point. The studios view iTMS as another opportunity for publicity and getting word about the programming out there. What they really want in the end is for users to start watching the normal broadcast of the show, advertisements and all. They view iTMS as a way to drive up their ratings...

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
iDM said:
Now if they put Entourage or Sopranos on iTMS i would actually lay down the 1.99 to buy episodes before flight, car rides and trips to work.

As the show selection expands, so will the download rates... I think that goes without saying...

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
I love HBO, but I'd be very curious to see how they price their shows online. The Sopranos, for instance, often sells for around $70 per season, with a typical season being only 13 episodes long. So, would they be willing to lower the price per season and go with the $1.99 price point? I doubt it, but would like to see it.

Super Dave

macrumors 6502
gco212 said:
I love HBO, but I'd be very curious to see how they price their shows online. The Sopranos, for instance, often sells for around $70 per season, with a typical season being only 13 episodes long. So, would they be willing to lower the price per season and go with the $1.99 price point? I doubt it, but would like to see it.

I would like to see it as well, but as you say I wouldn't hold my breath.

David :cool:

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
Yes, that's what I'm talking about get some good HBO content onto iTunes. I'm willing to pay the 1.99 for an episode of the Sopranos or Curb your Enthusiasm.

poe diddley

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
greensboro nc
still waiting...

still waiting for this to happen. showtime did it, along with many other networks, so why won't HBO join in and sell us some of their content we could otherwise get for free anyway with a bit of searching? why not make some $ off of it??

mustard

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2005
NJ
The next couple weeks may show something due to the Soprano's Season 6 Part Airing (FINAL SEASON OF AWESOMENESS)

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
The next couple weeks may show something due to the Soprano's Season 6 Part Airing (FINAL SEASON OF AWESOMENESS)

The Sopranos was two and a half seasons of awesomeness followed by four seasons of wildly inconsistent TV. Nearly every Carmela focused story was unwatchable (ooh ... will she really end up with Furio? Ugh ... the show became a soap opera for awhile.) The show jumped the shark for good with five words: I love you too johnnycakes.

For true brilliance, a show that got better every season, I have two words: The Wire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.