Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zwip778

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Hi,

For a couple of days, I have noticed something weird on my 2011 Macbook Air when I visit certain websites, such as the technology section of Google News. I tried to remove all the Safari extensions such as Pocket etc. but unfortunately it doesn't help. Here is a screenshot, if anyone can shed some lights on this problem it would be great!

Attachments

• virus_screen.png
    virus_screen.png
    359.9 KB · Views: 183

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Hi,

For a couple of days, I have noticed something weird on my 2011 Macbook Air when I visit certain websites, such as the technology section of Google News. I tried to remove all the Safari extensions such as Pocket etc. but unfortunately it doesn't help. Here is a screenshot, if anyone can shed some lights on this problem it would be great!

I don't think it's a virus because there is so little malware in the wild for OSX. So you are complaining about all the popups, right? I've loaded that site in Chrome and Safari and I don't see ANY popups. I do use adblock in ALL my browsers and I'm unwilling to turn it off even long enough to try to see what you see. I suggest you install an ad blocker as well as enable click to play for all plugins. Some sites won't work but you never have to worry about a loud commercial suddenly playing when you're in the quiet study room of the library.

I really hate sites that have overly sophisticated mouseover events. Perhaps you are passing over an item on the page that pops up a "share" dialog that you then have to dismiss. I've tried every setting, from compact to modern and still I don't see any popups. The only thing I get for mouseovers is a little bit of white on black text asking if I want real time coverage of a topic.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
I don't think it's a virus because there is so little malware in the wild for OSX. So you are complaining about all the popups, right? I've loaded that site in Chrome and Safari and I don't see ANY popups. I do use adblock in ALL my browsers and I'm unwilling to turn it off even long enough to try to see what you see. I suggest you install an ad blocker as well as enable click to play for all plugins. Some sites won't work but you never have to worry about a loud commercial suddenly playing when you're in the quiet study room of the library.

Ummm, in the screenshot there was an adblock button so the OP already has an ad blocker.

zwip778

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Thanks for your inputs

I have an Adblocker already installed in Safari.

This weird pop-up thing in only in Safari and affects only some web pages that would never allow ads like that. The most frequent time I encounter this weird pop-up which takes over the functionality of the whole web page is Google News in the Tech section. I also encountered that when browsing some other websites.

Disabling Javascript makes this problem go away but of course I need for other web pages and on top of that, I would like to know if other people are affected by that... Clearly, what I am trying to explain is that it's not an ad but rather looks like a Note-Taking tool like an Evernote Web-Clipper or something like that which went wrong.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Ummm, in the screenshot there was an adblock button so the OP already has an ad blocker.

Doh! I didn't notice the adblock hand over there to the left of the URL bar. I mostly use Chrome so I wasn't expecting to see it there.

Thanks for your inputs

I have an Adblocker already installed in Safari.

This weird pop-up thing in only in Safari and affects only some web pages that would never allow ads like that. The most frequent time I encounter this weird pop-up which takes over the functionality of the whole web page is Google News in the Tech section. I also encountered that when browsing some other websites.

Disabling Javascript makes this problem go away but of course I need for other web pages and on top of that, I would like to know if other people are affected by that... Clearly, what I am trying to explain is that it's not an ad but rather looks like a Note-Taking tool like an Evernote Web-Clipper or something like that which went wrong.

There is an add-on for Safari that allows you to selectively block javascript. It should help you out until you get to the bottom of this issue.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I just browsed some articles in Google News on Safari and I am not seeing the popups like you are. I am not blocking Javascript and I even turned off Adblock. It look like some extension you have. :confused:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,

Do you have any apps or toolbars or extensions related to Evernote installed?

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

zwip778

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Do you have any apps or toolbars or extensions related to Evernote installed?

Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 12 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). 3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.
Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I didn't have Evernote-extensions installed in Safari when I started to have this problem.

Also, the font/UI used in the pop-up seems to differ from the look and feel of Evernote. It looks more like Pocket to me, so that was the first extension I removed, but the result was unsuccessful.

I tried to remove all of the extensions but the problem persists which basically makes browsing the web impossible on many websites including the most common one Google!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks everyone for the help.

I didn't have Evernote-extensions installed in Safari when I started to have this problem.

Also, the font/UI used in the pop-up seems to differ from the look and feel of Evernote. It looks more like Pocket to me, so that was the first extension I removed, but the result was unsuccessful.

I tried to remove all of the extensions but the problem persists which basically makes browsing the web impossible on many websites including the most common one Google!

Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

zwip778

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
  1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

Hey I followed the advice of removing Evernote and it worked!

Like an idiot, I didn't uninstall Evernote web-clipper which I never use and never shows up in my toolbar but it was still installed. Basically, I had removed extensions but I didn't uninstall them. That was my mistake.

In case someone with the same issue finds this thread, to uninstall, go to Preferences and then Extensions... don't just use customize toolbar. The latter will not uninstall.

Once again thanks for the help and I think Evernote should really do a better job with their extensions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.