Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Nov 18, 2013, 05:38 AM   #1
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Doris Lessing, Writer, Radical, and Nobel Prize Winner Dies at 94

Reading the papers today, (online as it happens, I'm rather too faraway from my corner shop to buy them, and feel the crinkling sound of published newsprint in my hand as I sip a cup of coffee), I noted with regret that Doris Lessing, author, radical, feminist and winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature (among countless others) has died, aged 91.

An absolute colossus, wonderful writer, and, from interviews I have read, an engaging, generous and stimulating individual, too.

Last edited by Scepticalscribe; Nov 21, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
Scepticalscribe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 05:41 AM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

A truly significant loss.

A woman of extraordinary talent and impact.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3
Kyre42
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Kyre42
Actually, Lessing was 94, as she was born in 1919. Wonderful writer!
Kyre42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyre42 View Post
Actually, Lessing was 94, as she was born in 1919. Wonderful writer!
Ooops. My bad. Thanks for pointing this out.

Actually, I spotted that on a subsequent article which I read and realised that I had erred in posting her age incorrectly. Thus, the thread title has been amended and corrected.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 08:22 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Reading the papers today, (online as it happens, I'm rather too faraway from my corner shop to buy them, and feel the crinkling sound of published newsprint in my hand as I sip a cup of coffee), I noted with regret that Doris Lessing, author, radical, feminist and winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature (among countless others) has died, aged 91.

An absolute colossus, wonderful writer, and, from interviews I have read, an engaging, generous and stimulating individual, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
Ooops. My bad. Thanks for pointing this out.

Actually, I spotted that on a subsequent article which I read and realised that I had erred in posting her age incorrectly. Thus, the thread title has been amended and corrected.
But the age in your original post is still wrong. Could you please correct it to avoid any more confusion. Thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 03:33 AM   #6
Scepticalscribe
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
But the age in your original post is still wrong. Could you please correct it to avoid any more confusion. Thanks.
I could do so, but - given that the mistake was pointed out to me, and is thus a matter of record, I decided to leave it as it was. I have corrected the thread title (which is much more important) and have acknowledged both error and correction in a subsequent post.

For what it is worth, in a previous life, for a year, I worked as a public servant as an editor for the parliamentary debates office in my country where we logged, transcribed, edited and published the official record of both houses of parliament and the various parliamentary committees. Our rule was that if a mistake was made in the course of a debate or discussion - and not spotted - we corrected it, as long as it did not interfere with the actual debate.

If, however, the error was picked up by another parliamentarian and referred to in public, then both the mistake and the correction stood as a matter of public record, and were left as they were. That is the principle I have followed here.

Last edited by Scepticalscribe; Nov 23, 2013 at 06:08 AM.
Scepticalscribe is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events