Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Reading the papers today, (online as it happens, I'm rather too faraway from my corner shop to buy them, and feel the crinkling sound of published newsprint in my hand as I sip a cup of coffee), I noted with regret that Doris Lessing, author, radical, feminist and winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature (among countless others) has died, aged 91.

An absolute colossus, wonderful writer, and, from interviews I have read, an engaging, generous and stimulating individual, too.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Actually, Lessing was 94, as she was born in 1919. Wonderful writer!

Ooops. My bad. Thanks for pointing this out.

Actually, I spotted that on a subsequent article which I read and realised that I had erred in posting her age incorrectly. Thus, the thread title has been amended and corrected.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Reading the papers today, (online as it happens, I'm rather too faraway from my corner shop to buy them, and feel the crinkling sound of published newsprint in my hand as I sip a cup of coffee), I noted with regret that Doris Lessing, author, radical, feminist and winner of the Nobel Prize for Literature (among countless others) has died, aged 91.

An absolute colossus, wonderful writer, and, from interviews I have read, an engaging, generous and stimulating individual, too.

Ooops. My bad. Thanks for pointing this out.

Actually, I spotted that on a subsequent article which I read and realised that I had erred in posting her age incorrectly. Thus, the thread title has been amended and corrected.

But the age in your original post is still wrong. Could you please correct it to avoid any more confusion. Thanks.:p

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
But the age in your original post is still wrong. Could you please correct it to avoid any more confusion. Thanks.:p

I could do so, but - given that the mistake was pointed out to me, and is thus a matter of record, I decided to leave it as it was. I have corrected the thread title (which is much more important) and have acknowledged both error and correction in a subsequent post.

For what it is worth, in a previous life, for a year, I worked as a public servant as an editor for the parliamentary debates office in my country where we logged, transcribed, edited and published the official record of both houses of parliament and the various parliamentary committees. Our rule was that if a mistake was made in the course of a debate or discussion - and not spotted - we corrected it, as long as it did not interfere with the actual debate.

If, however, the error was picked up by another parliamentarian and referred to in public, then both the mistake and the correction stood as a matter of public record, and were left as they were. That is the principle I have followed here.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.