Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opinio

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
I have a current 'spare' AirPort Express I bought in Australia with current 7.6.4 firmware (I updated). I want to take it to Japan and also change the language of the firmware to Japanese.

Does anyone know if there are issues with this, or how to do it?

I will be using a MacBook Pro with Japanese OS X 10.9.X (but not until I get there) so I was wondering if the AirPort App in Japanese would simply show my Aussie Express in Japanese in the edit settings? That is, is it all automatic and tied in with the relevant AirPort App language or do I have to update the firmware once I get to Japan? Not to complicate things but I need it to be all in Japanese (even thought I understand both eng/jap) because I will leave it there for others (Japanese) to use.

I read somewhere you simply reload the firmware, and the language of the Mac and location will set the firmware to the appropriate local language automatically. In other words I do it all in Japan on a Japanese Mac and the Express should wake up with a complete new language.

Second, does anyone know if there is a region restriction issue? I don't want to take the thing there (even though it is small) and find out it will not work.

Thanks for any info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.