Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two new channels have appeared on the Apple TV set-top box, with U.S. public television system PBS delivering some of its content through a new channel and Yahoo announcing the launch of Yahoo Screen, a channel for browsing videos such as Saturday Night Live and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart as hosted by Yahoo.

yahoo_screen_apple_tv.jpg
Full access to the PBS app, which includes over 5,000 hours of content, requires users to sign in with a Facebook, Google+, or PBS account, which subscribes them to email updates through their local PBS stations.

Apple has been rapidly expanding the number of content channels available on the Apple TV over the past several months, adding channels such as WatchESPN and HBO GO in June and music video channel Vevo and several Disney channels in August and September. The company is also said to be working on deals with cable provider Time Warner and TV network The CW.

Article Link: 'Yahoo Screen' and PBS Come to Apple TV

Aug 5, 2013
It's great getting these extra 'channels' but Im not signing up to a million different offerings with Facebook, google etc etc. I don't even use them. Until there is a way to 'sign up' with your appleID i.e. doing diddly squat, I won't be accessing the new content/channels. If you have to pay for content fine, but do it via AppleID. I don't want a million different accounts!

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
This amazing device just keeps getting better and better.

It does, but they really need to revise the UI now and rethink the "screenful of icons" approach.

How about a way of searching for content across all of the integrated apps-- that would be nice. Maybe that will be 2014's next big thing.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
More content is always great.

Personally - I still can't figure out why they don't have a search capability for your own library. I have over 700 movies in iTunes and I have to scroll through them to get to the one I want. And no - I don't want to hook up a keyboard. I'd like to be able to search at LEAST by first letter...

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011
That screen shot shows a whole-lotta nothing to watch. Bad sales pitch, Apple.

IDK, that looks like a lot of decent content on the left side... for free! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I'm actually more excited about the PBS app anyway.

What I'm getting frustrated by on the Apple TV is the convoluted way they have for you to hide channels/apps you don't use or want to see filling up your screen. Restrictions? Really?

Maybe my beef is just a semantic one. Maybe if they just called the setting "App/Channel Management" or "Home Screen Display" or something like that it'd be fine... at least until such time as they put an actual "App Store" on the device and let us manage apps like any other iOS device.

Last edited:

kimble3

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
UI Broken

It's great that Apple is adding all of these new channels but I think it is quickly becoming clear that the UI for the Apple TV needs to be completely redesigned.

The process of trying to find something specific you want to watch is becoming more and more cumbersome, especially using the Apple Remote. There's no real order or organization for finding anything and the more that is added the worse it gets. Also, there is no way to just "flip" channels to find something that interests you at that moment which is the way most people watch TV. I'm still waiting to find out how Apple is going to "revolutionize" TV.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Comedy Central content, you say? I'm down with that.

PBS requiring an account is bizarre. If I tune in OTA PBS on my TV I don't need an account. Why now?

appleii.c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2013
The PBS app looks promising. Any idea if PBS Kids Sprout content is available? My kids will love that.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
My question is how do we start turning off apps or reorganizing them so that the 90% of the apps we (broad generalization) don't watch aren't in the way?

To show/hide apps:

Settings > General > Restrictions > scroll down and toggle show/hide app.

To move an app:

Press and hold "select" button on remote > drag to location desired.

Clubber

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
PBS is good stuff

PBS is good stuff. NOVA is great as is Secrets of the Dead. The Netflix offering is slim, I'm hoping I can get more with this.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
It's great getting these extra 'channels' but Im not signing up to a million different offerings with Facebook, google etc etc. I don't even use them. Until there is a way to 'sign up' with your appleID i.e. doing diddly squat, I won't be accessing the new content/channels. If you have to pay for content fine, but do it via AppleID. I don't want a million different accounts!

Totally agree. We have 3 AppleTV's and now we have to sign in to EACH of these apps separately on EACH AppleTV. If you don't use some of the apps regularly, you get signed out. Which means that the ATV in our guest bedroom is almost always unusable. Totally ridiculous UI.

The PBS app looks promising. Any idea if PBS Kids Sprout content is available? My kids will love that.

Hoping so as well.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Agree 100% that the UI needs a rethink. A screen of apps is not the way to go, especially if they keep adding more apps/content. The fact we didn't get a new ATV this year makes me think they're working on something for 2014.

scat999999

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2003
Why don't they have an Amazon Prime Video app native on ATV? It's on the iPhone and the iPad and you can AirPlay it to the ATV, but a native app would be great.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I'm not at home right now-but does anyone know if the Apple TV PBS application carry past episodes of Frontline?

Access to PBS Kids? Sprout?

If it does then that would be awesome!

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
It does, but they really need to revise the UI now and rethink the "screenful of icons" approach.

How about a way of searching for content across all of the integrated apps-- that would be nice. Maybe that will be 2014's next big thing.

Yes it is getting a bit crazy with all the icons. Needs something to clean it up.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.