Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lewisweekly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2013
Cambridge area
does anyone know of a way (via code or cydia tweak etc..) to set a specific limit on background processes? older devices that weren't meant to run apps in the background often crash when there is too little ram, I was just wondering if you could stop apps from back-grounding when say 3 or 4 apps are already running...

Regards, Lewis W

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
does anyone know of a way (via code or cydia tweak etc..) to set a specific limit on background processes? older devices that weren't meant to run apps in the background often crash when there is too little ram, I was just wondering if you could stop apps from back-grounding when say 3 or 4 apps are already running...

Regards, Lewis W
Take a look at Background Manager and Auto App Killer. Both will do what you want. I use them together.

You can also get Kill Background which will kill ALL running apps. You can use that with an Activator action to make it a one gesture function too.

EDIT: AppSwiper, which is another tweak I have just added a feature that allows you to see which apps are running and how much ram they are taking, and the option to kill selectively or all with an Activator action. Just added today.

Last edited:

lewisweekly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2013
Cambridge area
Take a look at Background Manager and Auto App Killer. Both will do what you want. I use them together.

You can also get Kill Background which will kill ALL running apps. You can use that with an Activator action to make it a one gesture function too.

EDIT: AppSwiper, which is another tweak I have just added a feature that allows you to see which apps are running and how much ram they are taking, and the option to kill selectively or all with an Activator action. Just added today.

Thanks a lot mate, just the thing I was looking for!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.