Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has released a newly updated version of its Find My Friends app with an iOS 7-inspired redesign. The app was Apple's last consumer-focused app to receive a redesign for iOS 7, though iAd Gallery and iTunes Connect retain their old look-and-feel.

Other than the new design, Find My Friends does not appear to have any new features.

fmf.jpg
Last week, Apple released updated versions of iBooks and iTunes U with similar redesigns.

Find My Friends is a free download for the iPhone and iPad from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Find My Friends Updated With iOS 7 Redesign

conkerbot

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2010
Looks like a good update, but I kind of wish they'd build Find My Friends into the maps app itself. Maybe in iOS 8...

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
HOLY $(*@ FINALLY!

Even though no one ever wants to add me because they think it's creepy :(

Or.. they think I'm creepy!?

EDIT: Just played with it. Very nice!

EDITx2: Being able to notify someone that you've left or arrived is, I believe, a new feature.

Last edited:

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
Cant wait to start seeing this happening on OS X apps like Messages for example. It just looks so dated now. Perhaps the next OS X release will incorporate a refreshed GUI (I like the iOS 7 design a lot. I realize this comment may not sit well with others!)

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
New Feature: Notify Them??

I'm pretty sure being able to notify the other person when you leave or arrive at a location is a new feature. Have always been able to set up a notification when they leave/arrive....but not notify them when I leave/arrive....right?!

Millah

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2008
I'm pretty sure being able to notify the other person when you leave or arrive at a location is a new feature. Have always been able to set up a notification when they leave/arrive....but not notify them when I leave/arrive....right?!

Yes that would be a new feature, I do not recall ever being able to choose to notify followers when I arrived/left, they would have to do that themselves on their app.

Preclaro_tipo

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
West Lafayette, IN
all but friends

HOLY $(*@ FINALLY!

Even though no one ever wants to add me because they think it's creepy :(

Or.. they think I'm creepy!?

EDIT: Just played with it. Very nice!

What I tell my friends is that the phone manufacturer, the cellular network....and therefore certain government agencies already know where you are (a la 911 laws requiring them to know where you are in case you need emergency services, :roll eyes:)
So, if you do NOT use a "Find my Friends" type app, the only people who DO NOT know where you are...are your friends...

I know that may not convince many, but that's my argument.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
What I tell my friends is that the phone manufacturer, the cellular network....and therefore certain government agencies already know where you are (a la 911 laws requiring them to know where you are in case you need emergency services, :roll eyes:)
So, if you do NOT use a "Find my Friends" type app, the only people who DO NOT know where you are...are your friends...

I know that may not convince many, but that's my argument.

:D Don't turn around. That wasn't me laughing. Carry on... :eek:

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Cant wait to start seeing this happening on OS X apps like Messages for example. It just looks so dated now. Perhaps the next OS X release will incorporate a refreshed GUI (I like the iOS 7 design a lot. I realize this comment may not sit well with others!)

I agree, looking forward to it.

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
This app needs just one more thing to be perfect for me: Integration with Siri to ask "when will my wife be home?". I can see her on the map and guess based on location, but with traffic and whatnot, it's not super accurate. Apple has all the information to do that already. It knows where she is and how long it would take her to reach the home address while factoring in traffic. Someone just needs to put it all together.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So happy! No more leather! The leather is gone forever!!! The horrid look has finally been removed across all of my devices.

I use this app all the time to meet up with the wifey or see if she got home early. Then I'm less likely to work late. I also use it with one of my friends halfway across the country. We collaborate on some projects together and play games online so if one of us is home in the evening there's a better chance we're on our Mac or Xbox and ready to do something.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Yes that would be a new feature, I do not recall ever being able to choose to notify followers when I arrived/left, they would have to do that themselves on their app.

No, that's been there since last year.

Anyway, the real story is that the app still stays on the screen without being stitched to it with cheap leather. Take that, Scott Forestall! Never thought that would work, did you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.