Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtowncook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2013
Not looking for preaching here, just personal experiences from folks. So once again I'm second guessing a gadget purchase. Two weeks ago I bought the iPad Air and was indeed blown away by its thinness and lightness. Today is the 14th day and I have to make a decision whether to return it for the iPad Mini with Retina Display.

So, did anyone out there return the Air for the Mini Retina and you're now regretting it? I see my main uses for the iPad as reading and also handing it to my soon-to-be toddler on long car rides for videos and games. Whatever your uses, do you wish you had kept the Air, because you miss the larger screen, or whatever?

Or did you go from the original Mini to the iPad Air, and despite the better specs, you now miss the smaller form factor?

Thanks for any advice you can give me on my gadget D-day:confused:

Mikes2pads

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
It's really not a "whatever" question.
Either you miss that 10" screen or not. Ipad mini is ok but I need that larger screen.
Either will be a great device to have

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I love the form factor of the mini myself.

That said, perhaps the Air would be better for you. I think it's better for videos and can easily be carried along in the car. The mini's advantage is it's ability to fit in a coat pocket and travel everywhere unobtrusively.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I returned my Air and couldn't be happier. The size of the Mini is perfect. The Air is still too big even though it slimmed down from the iPad 4.

Souskei

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2013
I returned my ipad air for a rMini... 3 days later returned the rMini for the air.

I missed the screen real estate almost instantly. And also the volume level in the air a lot better.

But thy as just me.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I had all the previous full sized iPad versions then switched to the iPad Mini last year. I thought I would miss the retina display at that time. Then the new iPad Air form factor got me interested if the 10" tablet category was viable. The iPad Air is a really nice device, but after a week I found myself leaving it behind. I also felt iOS was poorly designed for a 10" screen. Everything seemed huge. For me the iPad Mini form factor trumps all. An iPad you have with you is better than a iPad you don't.

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
Returned the Air for the rMini. Much prefer the rMini. It's more portable and just more user friendly for me on my travels. No regret at all.

go ipad

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Just to let you know that you're good until 1/7/2014 for returning your Air.

Apple started Holiday return policy when Air came out. You can call Apple Store to verify it :cool:

apprunner

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I have the iPad 4 and iPad mini retina. For games, i actually like the mini due to form factor. However, my kids LOVE the larger screen for video. I'd stick with the Air if its going to be a family tablet :)

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I had all the previous full sized iPad versions then switched to the iPad Mini last year. I thought I would miss the retina display at that time. Then the new iPad Air form factor got me interested if the 10" tablet category was viable. The iPad Air is a really nice device, but after a week I found myself leaving it behind. I also felt iOS was poorly designed for a 10" screen. Everything seemed huge. For me the iPad Mini form factor trumps all. An iPad you have with you is better than a iPad you don't.

So true. I bought both the ipad Air and the rMini and used them both for about a week. At first I decided to return the rMini as I think the Air is the superior device. However, I still found myself reaching for the mini whenever I was out and about. I still find the text on it to be smaller than I would like but there are workarounds. As hard as it was for me to do, I ultimately ended up returing the Air. I just knew deep in my gut that the ipad Air wouldn't get used nearly as much as the mini would. I was tempted to keep both but the money for the Air would be better spent on my car payments. Not to mention I have too many gadgets to charge up at night as it is. I know I ultimately made the right choice for myself. No regrets.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.