Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Sad fellas - I returned my iPad AIR this morning! Yes, you need to read this because I have had a hard time with this iPad AIR due to the fact it will crash due to low memory so often when I use safari and I'm not even using more than 2 tabs at once. I really think this new 64bit architecture is just constraining the ram big time and the paltry 1GB is not going to cut it with 64bit apps.

I've had a good time with my iPad 4, 3, and 2 (which is on iOS 6) and I again feel apple is really just milking this iPad 1GB RAM model one last year before next year they will unleash a larger RAM model. They very well know this 1GB ram is not cutting it but what do you do if you were apple? Release nothing for 2 years time and then release the 64-bit design and more ram or just do what you gotta do now to look relevant?

Sorry to see you go iPad AIR, but my wallet cannot sustain heavy damage this year when the next year apple will release a better model with more ram. Back to my stable iPad 4 (which really is no slouch!)

Last edited:

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2012
Have you only tried one Air? The fact that you have not mentioned it, probably means you didn't. So how do you know if your unit was defective or not?

The reason why I ask is because, I have like 5 tabs open and everything works fine

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Wait for it...

WAIT FOR IT...

Cool story, bro!

Isn't it nice that Apple offers a guilt-free 100% refund policy on purchases? No wonder they are the best company on earth!

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Have you only tried one Air? The fact that you have not mentioned it, probably means you didn't. So how do you know if your unit was defective or not?

The reason why I ask is because, I have like 5 tabs open and everything works fine

I have only tried one AIR but I don't believe it's a defect of any sort. Reason is that the crashes I have been getting is really annoying - especially when streaming videos and visiting many websites, it will crash more often than my iPad 4/3/2 - I just don't think for me it's gonna be worth it to go with this new AIR when I know the RAM has everything to do with it. Checked the logs there are tons of low memory reports.

I'm gonna wait it out for the proper Air 2 when they actually beef up the RAM. I really think 1GB is really pushing it especially with resolution and iOS7 and the new 64bit apps - especially safari.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I have only tried one AIR but I don't believe it's a defect of any sort. Reason is that the crashes I have been getting is really annoying - especially when streaming videos and visiting many websites, it will crash more often than my iPad 4/3/2 - I just don't think for me it's gonna be worth it to go with this new AIR when I know the RAM has everything to do with it. Checked the logs there are tons of low memory reports.

I'm gonna wait it out for the proper Air 2 when they actually beef up the RAM. I really think 1GB is really pushing it especially with resolution and iOS7 and the new 64bit apps - especially safari.

That's what you're supposed to do. Vote with your wallet instead of complaining that the product isn't what you hoped it would be.

I returned my iPhone 4 over antenna issues, and just waited for the 4S.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Sad fellas - I returned my iPad AIR this morning! Yes, you need to read this because I have had a hard time with this iPad AIR due to the fact it will crash due to low memory so often when I use safari and I'm not even using more than 2 tabs at once. I really think this new 64bit architecture is just constraining the ram big time and the paltry 1GB is not going to cut it with 64bit apps.

Either that, or you're misunderstanding RAM. Do apps crash on a MacBook Air with 4GB of RAM and not on a MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM? No.

Should've just waited for iOS 7.1, huh?

Last edited:

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
So? You returned it and they gave you your money back. Why are you complaining? Find another product that will meet your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Either that, or you're misunderstanding RAM.

I would've just waited for iOS 7.1, huh?

Why wait for iOS 7.1? Magically software is gonna fix ram limitations? I see how all you guys think. No wonder apple makes billions. Give you gimped RAM, gimped color gamut displays, yet you guys line up to buy them.

I voted with my wallet! NO THANKS. iPad 4 is still great. Will save up for next model 2014 with more ram.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008

I've had a good time with my iPad 4, 3, and 2 (which is on iOS 6) and I again feel apple is really just milking this iPad 1GB RAM model one last year before next year they will unleash a larger RAM model. They very well know this 1GB ram is not cutting it but what do you do if you were apple? Release nothing for 2 years time and then release the 64-bit design and more ram or just do what you gotta do now to look relevant?

Sorry to see you go iPad AIR, but my wallet cannot sustain heavy damage this year when the next year apple will release a better model with more ram. Back to my stable iPad 4 (which really is no slouch!)

You do know that it is more than likely an ios7 problem and not ram right?
My old iPad 2 and retina 3rd gen never had issues with crashing of Safari and they had or equal amount of ram. It's an ios7 issue...

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
My old iPad 2 and retina 3rd gen never had issues with crashing of Safari and they had or equal amount of ram. It's an ios7 issue...

my iPad 4/3 is not as bad as the new iPad AIR, however. But those are not the new A7 processor.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Simply put, 64 bit apps and os require around 20% more RAM than 32bit apps and an os. This means that doing the same task on the iPad 4 and iPad Air, the iPad Air will use more RAM. So you are more likely to run out of 1GB RAM on a 64 bit system than with 1GB RAM on a 32bit system.

Now its possible that Apple can still optimize iOS7 to use less RAM, but its never going to be as lean as an iPad 4 on 1GB RAM.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
Simply put, 64 bit apps and os require around 20% more RAM than 32bit apps and an os. This means that doing the same task on the iPad 4 and iPad Air, the iPad Air will use more RAM. So you are more likely to run out of 1GB RAM on a 64 bit system than with 1GB RAM on a 32bit system.

I'm not an engineer but you sound correct. I don't have this annoying issue with my other 32bit iPads...the iPad AIR is perfect, however. Just know they (apple) will release a more ram model next year...just can't vote for this one now :(

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Same here.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Finally! Now I guess you can stop complaining about rMini and the Air.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Sigh, kids these days

They don't know how good it is...compalining about 1GB of RAM. We used to be happy with 640K.

And who started with the crashing because of lack of RAM crap? It is possible to program an OS so that it doesn't crash when RAM is low. My point is, if it crash, it is a bug, and can be fixed in future software releases.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Now its possible that Apple can still optimize iOS7 to use less RAM, but its never going to be as lean as an iPad 4 on 1GB RAM.

But that wouldn't explain why 5-6 tabs could be open on a 32-bit iOS 7 iPad 4 without crashing, but only 1-2 on the iPad Air. For what it's worth, I have lots more tabs open on my iPhone 5s than I ever did on the 5 (partly because iOS 7 eliminated the 8 tab limit on the iPhone) and it's as stable as any other iPhone I've ever had.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
+1 OP... I tried several iPad Airs in the Apple store opening several tabs, and after 3/4 tabs were open, the initial tab required refresh. UNSAT! Waiting till iPad 6 and 2GB RAM, meanwhile bought an ASUS Memo HD7 to use till then. Apple must have a lot of 1 GB modules in inventory to clear out.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But that wouldn't explain why 5-6 tabs could be open on a 32-bit iOS 7 iPad 4 without crashing, but only 1-2 on the iPad Air. For what it's worth, I have lots more tabs open on my iPhone 5s than I ever did on the 5 (partly because iOS 7 eliminated the 8 tab limit on the iPhone) and it's as stable as any other iPhone I've ever had.

The iOS7 on the iPad 4 is 32 bit, iOS7 on the Air is 64Bit. 5 tabs on the iPad 4 doesn't use as much RAM as two tabs on the Air. Of course it depends on which sites you are visiting and how resource intensive they are. For example, two Macrumors tabs will use far less RAM than two Verge tabs. I think the iPad version of iOS7 still needs to be optimized to be really efficient, but by and large iOS7 on the new iPads is pretty resource hungry.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012

I am not finding any crashes but i do agree with you on the milking, they hold back on every release though. 2GB ram will be better and that is why i only bought the 16GB wifi Air.

ScottW1

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
NW Washington, USA
I think the issue with is memory MANAGEMENT, rather than an absolute lack of memory.

When the crashes have occurred for me, I simply reopen Safari and it opens with all the tabs there, and I can view/refresh all of them. Everything is there, and it doesn't immediately crash again. If there was truly insufficient physical memory on the device for all the open apps and tabs, that couldn't happen and it would crash again when Safari was reopened, right?

So I find it more likely that iOS7 is crashing when attempting to reallocate, compress/decompress, reclaim pages, grab memory from suspended apps, (etc.), as opposed to actually "running out" of physical ram. Sure smells like a software problem to me.

I typically browse with a LOT of open tabs, and have only seen a few of these crashes. So far, it is a minor problem for me and I'm willing to hope it is a software issue that gets fixed in a 7.1 or 7.2 release as they debug/refine the new memory management routines.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Why wait for iOS 7.1? Magically software is gonna fix ram limitations? I see how all you guys think. No wonder apple makes billions. Give you gimped RAM, gimped color gamut displays, yet you guys line up to buy them.

I voted with my wallet! NO THANKS. iPad 4 is still great. Will save up for next model 2014 with more ram.

You're apps don't crash because of RAM limitations in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.