Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Basically I am due an upgrade and decided to get an android phone.....

I am looking at these phones, note 3, LG G2, HTC One and maybe even the S4

What is putting me off the note is its size...its way too big to be a phone imo and also I have heard the HTC One has poor battery life, as well as the fact that the phone is kinda old now and a new one will be coming out in early 2014 (I can't wait till that long to get the new model)

Also the LG G2 only comes in 16gb in the uk which is way too small especially today.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Get the ONE.. and it's whether old nor it has poor battery life. The LG G2 is pretty nice too but only comes with 16GB like you already said.

I would never recommend the S4 except the google play edition.

Or you go for pure Android with a nice new Nexus 5!

Brazzan

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2009
May I ask why you see 16GB as too small?

I was concerned about that initially when I got my G2, but I've got 4GB free in practice, with a fair amount of photos, apps & music on board.

Unless you're planning on storing a lot of video, you may be OK.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Get the ONE.. and it's whether old nor it has poor battery life. The LG G2 is pretty nice too but only comes with 16GB like you already said.

I would never recommend the S4 except the google play edition.

Or you go for pure Android with a nice new Nexus 5!

Hmmm i have heard good things about the one especially build quality etc....but isn't there a new htc one coming out? i know you can then say ''wait for the new htc one'' but i kinda need a new phone in the couple of weeks because my iPhone 4s is really falling apart/

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I would recommend note3 If you are ok with the size.

One screen is a bit too small. G2 is nice and I nearly got that instead of note3.

After using amoled for my last 3 phones, lcd screen just can't match the vibrancy of the amoled. Add the bigger screen and spen and 3gb ram sealed the deal for me.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
If you can wait for some time, then Nexus 5 is a good option for you and if you don't then you can pick s4.

The S4 is an option i suppose but isn't that old as well?
The worst thing is getting a phone on a 2 year contract and then a month later a new version of that phones comes out

----------

May I ask why you see 16GB as too small?

I was concerned about that initially when I got my G2, but I've got 4GB free in practice, with a fair amount of photos, apps & music on board.

Unless you're planning on storing a lot of video, you may be OK.

Well its not even 16gb...its like 12gb since the phone and all of its features etc...takes up some of the gb's/

the thing is i was going to use my next phone as my main music player so if i were to get the G2, i would have to buy a separate iPod as i have at lest 13GB of music....

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Moto X or droid maxx get my vote

I am in the UK and none of those devices are available

----------

I would recommend note3 If you are ok with the size.

One screen is a bit too small. G2 is nice and I nearly got that instead of note3.

After using amoled for my last 3 phones, lcd screen just can't match the vibrancy of the amoled. Add the bigger screen and spen and 3gb ram sealed the deal for me.

That's the thing....that phone is huge! Plus you have to get a case...can you imagine how weird it will look when you take a phone call with that in your hand?
How you finding the note 3 btw?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd go with either the Note 3, or the HTC One. The latter option if you don't want the large phone. I think the Note 3 is one of the best android phones out there at the moment - just my $.02

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I am in the UK and none of those devices are available

----------

That's the thing....that phone is huge! Plus you have to get a case...can you imagine how weird it will look when you take a phone call with that in your hand?
How you finding the note 3 btw?

It is not weird at all. It is not really that big. It is quite common where i am from. And i don't use it with a case.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I just got the S4 in the UK and am delighted. 16gb but just put in a 64gb micro SD for loads of my music.

I actually bought it off-contract, it's so cheap now - you can get them for £290-340 SIM-free.

For that price, it should definitely do me 18 months solid. Good camera, lovely screen. Great all-rounder.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
I just got the S4 in the UK and am delighted. 16gb but just put in a 64gb micro SD for loads of my music.

I actually bought it off-contract, it's so cheap now - you can get them for £290-340 SIM-free.

For that price, it should definitely do me 18 months solid. Good camera, lovely screen. Great all-rounder.

Yeah I'm on a contract you see....
Even though i can get the money if i really need to, as a student i don't want to spend that much upfront on a phone
would rather go on a monthly contract

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Yeah I'm on a contract you see....
Even though i can get the money if i really need to, as a student i don't want to spend that much upfront on a phone
would rather go on a monthly contract

You know what, I used to be on monthly contracts. T-Mob, O2 etc.

Then I switched to buying phones outright and moving to GiffGaff, and recently Three on SIM-only monthly rolling contracts that cost about £12 a month and have unlimited data (I care more about data than call allowance).

Saved so much money in the long run. Looking at an outlay of £600-700 over 2 years instead of the £900-1200 over two years that I used to pay.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
You know what, I used to be on monthly contracts. T-Mob, O2 etc.

Then I switched to buying phones outright and moving to GiffGaff, and recently Three on SIM-only monthly rolling contracts that cost about £12 a month and have unlimited data (I care more about data than call allowance).

Saved so much money in the long run. Looking at an outlay of £600-700 over 2 years instead of the £900-1200 over two years that I used to pay.

it really does depend on the phone and if you can afford it

that deal works great with a phone like the nexus....but a phone like the galaxy note 3, htc one etc....even though its cheaper in the long run to buy a phone outright and go on a sim only, paying £550 up front for a phone is very expensive especially for a student like myself!

WilliamBateman

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
If the Note 3 is too big but you really want a Samsung, get the S4. It's basically the same phone without the pen. If you don't necessarily need a Samsung, get the One. Who cares how old it is, it's still the second best phone on the market behind the Note 3 IMO.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
it really does depend on the phone and if you can afford it

that deal works great with a phone like the nexus....but a phone like the galaxy note 3, htc one etc....even though its cheaper in the long run to buy a phone outright and go on a sim only, paying £550 up front for a phone is very expensive especially for a student like myself!

Nah yung un!! You're playing it short when you should be playing it long!

Paying £550 or more for a smartphone is crazy. My S4 cost £300.

If you are genuinely price conscious, get that new Moto G.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Nah yung un!! You're playing it short when you should be playing it long!

Paying £550 or more for a smartphone is crazy. My S4 cost £300.

If you are genuinely price conscious, get that new Moto G.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

I'm crazy then.

I paid about £548 for my note 3.

jmebbk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
If the Note 3 is too big but you really want a Samsung, get the S4. It's basically the same phone without the pen. If you don't necessarily need a Samsung, get the One. Who cares how old it is, it's still the second best phone on the market behind the Note 3 IMO.

Nah i don't really want a samsung. This will be my first android phone so i have no favourites at all....
The LG G2 is deffo out the question because 16gb is just way too small
I don't want to be regretting the fact i have no more storage or have to delete things to make space half way through my 2 year contract...something that may happens with a 16gb phone.

I guess i am going to have to hold the note 3 again in my hand and see if i can cope with its huge size. If i can't then i may take a risk and opt for the HTC One.

----------

May i ask all note 3 owners....how do you feel about the size?

I have kinda small hands so basically i can't use the phone with one hand i don't think...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.