Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IGG Software today announced the launch of iBank 5, the latest version of the popular personal finance app for Mac. iBank 5 adds a number of new features, including support for bill pay through most major U.S. banks, streamlined one-button updating for connected accounts and device syncing, and support for the subscription Direct Access transaction tracking service first introduced in iBank for iPad last year.

Click for larger
With many significant new features and enhancements in iBank 5, those of interest to both current and future users include:

-- Bill pay
iBank 5 will connect to most major U.S. banks from within the app, allowing users to schedule and send payments, track those transactions and categorize the expenses, all with easy in-app set-up and a few simple clicks.

-- One-button updating
An Update Everything button on the iBank 5 toolbar imports all transactions from directly connected accounts, syncs devices, updates securities prices, and downloads current Direct Access data. Even users with many accounts, diverse investments and finances in multiple currencies may never have to enter another transaction manually.

-- Direct Access
IGG's exclusive subscription service for automatically updating transactions in all accounts was introduced last year with iBank for iPad. Now available in iBank 5, it connects to over 10,000 banks worldwide. In addition, a single Direct Access account allows subscribers to sync that data between iBank 5 for Mac and iBank for iPad 2.

-- Smarter budgeting
With a streamlined design that offers daily progress updates at a glance, iBank's new budgets automatically incorporate scheduled transactions such as recurring income and bills. Users can view historic budgets accurately even as adjustments are made to future budgets, and budgets will sync to iBank for iPad 2 as well.
Click for larger
The launch of iBank 5 for Mac comes just a month after the release of version 2 of iBank for iPad, which delivered a major interface refresh to adopt the iOS 7 design aesthetic while also adding several new tweaks and features. The pairing of iBank 5 for Mac and iBank for iPad 2 now allows for direct syncing of budgets and reminders between the platforms, while a single Direct Access subscription can be shared between the apps.

iBank 5 for Mac launches today from the IGG online store and is priced at $59.99, with a 30-day free trial available for all users. Current users of iBank 4 may upgrade for $29.99 from within iBank 5. A Mac App Store release for iBank 5 is coming but timing has yet to be announced.

IGG's optional Direct Access subscription service, which offers seamless automatic transaction updating from thousands of financial institutions worldwide, is available for $4.99 per month or $39.99 per year.

iBank for iPad is available from the App Store for $19.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: iBank 5 for Mac Adds Bill Pay, Streamlined Updating, and More

delnerdo

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2011
demise of quicken

Looks sooo much better than Quicken Essentials, which totally lacks support for mobiles! Everyone needs to manage their accounts, right? Why tether them to their desktop to do so?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
I love iBank ... one of the best banking tools for the Mac - I use them since one of their earliest versions.

Currently I have iBank4 from the MAS ... too bad that MAS does not support 'upgrade' pricing - Apple: please add this since I love the convenience of the MAS and having the apps on all my machines without going through serial numbers and all that stuff, but the missing upgrade pricing is really required since companies need to charge for major updates to stay alive (but are willing to give existing customers a welcoming discount)

ajspear

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
IBank or Mint.com? Currently using mint and think it is just ok.

I'm in the same boat. Is it worth the $60 + $40/year compared to Mint which is free? Also the iPad app at $20 is pretty pricy. But if the benefits outweigh the price then I would be interested.

fanchee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
I love iBank and have it set up to sync via webdav (on my synology) to my idevices. I sure hope this still works seamlessly!

I run Quicken Home & Business in Parallels because I haven't found anything even remotely close to it for managing personal finances with business finances. Fortunately my bank has a robust iOS app for iPhone and iPad so I can check balances, pay bills, deposit checks, etc. without getting my MacBook out.

techconc

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
Very happy with iBank

I switched from Quicken a few years ago and wished I would have made the jump sooner. While there are a few minor quirks with iBank, overall, it's a great program and well supported on the Mac.

phantom5251

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Michigan
What's been people's preference between YNAB and iBank? Last I looked, YNAB was the second ranked Finance app in the app store. I've got MoneyWiz and MoneyWell, and both are okay. Also a Mint user, and while that has a lot of great features, it also only goes so far.

azdusty

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Ynab

After spending time with quicken and bank, YNAB is by far the best money management system out there. We use Quicken for mac to download transactions, and then after inputing them into YNAB, we clear them in quicken. YNAB is extremely useful with the iPhone app because it lets you know how much you have remaining in a category if you are out shopping.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Does anybody know how well iBank is for printing checks? I googled a bit and found that it does print checks. Right now, I am using CheckBuilderPro for Mac and would like to switch to a fully featured solution.

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006

I'd also check out Moneydance - has an iOS app (free) and supports all iBank does.

I was a iBank user (v3) but it was a tad buggy and got expensive with all the upgrades and add-ons.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
iBank vs. Mint

Oh gosh, it is like comparing apples to oranges. I was using Quicken and then switched to Mint.com simply because I was forced to when Quicken didn't update their software for Lion. Mint absolutely sucks IMHO. It is so simplistic compared to Quicken and iBank. So, I switched to iBank since Quicken wasn't an option. I like iBank, but I have to admit that I miss Quicken and I think often about switching to Quicken Essentials. Hope that helps.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I bought Quicken 2007 when I came over to the Mac world in late 2006 and it was terrible. I suffered along until I found iBank in V3. I've been impressed with the way they have grown the product and brought out mobile products too. They seem very responsive to issues, mostly brought on by banks changing protocols. When Quicken killed its new Mac version in favor of "Essentials" which is more or less Q2007, it became clear that they knew they had lost the market to iBank. It's a little company that just has better ideas and it will be a good upgrade with a lot more capability. Now if their hosting company can get things to work. :)

luckysob

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Still running Quicken (currently v2013) in Parallels. I have to upgrade Parallels every two releases to maintain alignment with OSX, and Quicken every two or three releases because Intuit stops the ability of Quicken to download transactions then (BS).

So...it would take a lot for me to spend $100/year for a different financial program. Can't believe that downloads of financial data is $40/year.

Bbafett

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Georgia
I use Ixpensit. You have to manually input items, but it doesn't have any confidential information so no need for connection to update anything. I have multiple accounts for all my credit cards and accounts on. Helps me track how much I have in my accounts. Very easy to maintain after making a purchase.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
The bottom of the features page has all of the iBank vs. Competitor comparisons. It's worth noting that if a competitor has a feature that iBank doesn't, they are obviously not listing it, so it looks like iBank does everything, which may not be true.

I have Parallels, so I'm torn between running a version of Quicken 2014 or trying to decide between Moneydance, iBank, or SEE Finance.

Pretty decent discussion on this topic over at Ars, but there is never a clear winner.

----------

I love iBank ... one of the best banking tools for the Mac - I use them since one of their earliest versions.

Currently I have iBank4 from the MAS ... too bad that MAS does not support 'upgrade' pricing - Apple: please add this since I love the convenience of the MAS and having the apps on all my machines without going through serial numbers and all that stuff, but the missing upgrade pricing is really required since companies need to charge for major updates to stay alive (but are willing to give existing customers a welcoming discount)
This is a good point. Unless you already have gift card money loaded into the Mac Apple Store that you need to spend, I suggest purchasing iBank straight from IGG. You don't get the streamlined updates that MAC provides, but IGG will give you a discount on upgrading to iBank 6 if you buy from them.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I'd love to use an app like this but I live in the UK which, strangely enough for a global finance centre, is a barren wasteland when it comes to third-party app access to banking accounts.

I'd even consider changing banks just to get something like this.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010

Comparisons brought to you by the makers of iBank. Shockingly, iBank comes out on top.

In my experience, most of the things that iBank has over YNAB are features that I've never used, and actually work to complicate things. For me, the proof is in the result. YNAB has a philosophy behind it, that when subscribed to, has done more to positively effect my bottom line than any metrics automatically imported from wherever that are available outside the important stuff, which is your money, and how it's spent.

And no, I don't have anything to do with the software beyond being a customer. I evangelize because it's worked for me where nothing else has. sometimes it isn't about bloat.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
In both version 3.x and 4.x they never address some of the bugs several users would report. They just keep putting out higher revisions. I gave up on iBank because of this and have no intention of trying this version.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
In both version 3.x and 4.x they never address some of the bugs several users would report. They just keep putting out higher revisions. I gave up on iBank because of this and have no intention of trying this version.

which bugs

I've been using iBank since v3, more heavily now with v4 and I have not noticed any issues thus far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.