Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I received 2 days ago USB 3.0 Hub from Inateck, but it is more than just a hub :)

940q.jpg

q7t3.jpg

oasy.jpg

1m38.jpg

Great idea from Inateck to give us combo device like this. Owners of newer Apple laptops, like Retina MacBook Pro and MacBook Air will appreciate this product. There is quite a few of people who sometimes need more than 2 USB ports and there is bonus feature. For ones who need Gigabit Ethernet, you can save your Thunderbolt port (for video out or storage) because this Hub has it.

Hub uses ASIX AX88179 controller which will provide you with USB 3.0 transfer as high as 90 MB/s (with Tranascned StoreJet 25M2) and 105 MB/s through Gb Ethernet.

It seems that device gets enough power through USB 3 port. At the same time I connected USB 2.0 flash drive, USB 3.0 flash drive, USB 3.0 hard drive and Ethernet, and there were no issues.

To use this device you must install drivers, which come on CD, or you can easily find them on Inatecks support page. There are already drivers for Mac OS 10.9, for all version of Windows: XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 and for Linux.
http://www.inateck.de/support/

marktebbutt1

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2013
I received 2 days ago USB 3.0 Hub from Inateck, but it is more than just a hub :)

Great idea from Inateck to give us combo device like this. Owners of newer Apple laptops, like Retina MacBook Pro and MacBook Air will appreciate this product. There is quite a few of people who sometimes need more than 2 USB ports and there is bonus feature. For ones who need Gigabit Ethernet, you can save your Thunderbolt port (for video out or storage) because this Hub has it.

Hub uses ASIX AX88179 controller which will provide you with USB 3.0 transfer as high as 90 MB/s (with Tranascned StoreJet 25M2) and 105 MB/s through Gb Ethernet.

It seems that device gets enough power through USB 3 port. At the same time I connected USB 2.0 flash drive, USB 3.0 flash drive, USB 3.0 hard drive and Ethernet, and there were no issues.

To use this device you must install drivers, which come on CD, or you can easily find them on Inatecks support page. There are already drivers for Mac OS 10.9, for all version of Windows: XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 and for Linux.
http://www.inateck.de/support/

Hi OP, just wondering if you have noticed my question :)

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Innovative design and great review. Will this run the Apple DVD Drive?

I've been busy, sorry.
I dont have Superdrive to try that, but electrically Superdrive requires 0.45 amps at 5vdc, and USB 3.0 delivers about 0.9 amps, so there is no reason not to work. I would not connect external hard drives to the hub when burning with superdrive.

marktebbutt1

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2013
I've been busy, sorry.
I dont have Superdrive to try that, but electrically Superdrive requires 0.45 amps at 5vdc, and USB 3.0 delivers about 0.9 amps, so there is no reason not to work. I would not connect external hard drives to the hub when burning with superdrive.

Thank you bax2003 for the note. I was a little bit worried about this since it's a cord-free usb hub.

Nirurin

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2013
Have you tested HDD speeds through this?

I recently bought an Inateck 360 4 port powered up from amazon, which was meant to be a USB3 hub. It is labelled "USB3.0" on the hub itself.

However the iMac only reads it as being a USB2 device, and the speeds are limited to 30mb/s (basically USB2 speeds).

Is being returned, looking for a reliable replacement.

marktebbutt1

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2013
Have you tested HDD speeds through this?

I recently bought an Inateck 360 4 port powered up from amazon, which was meant to be a USB3 hub. It is labelled "USB3.0" on the hub itself.

However the iMac only reads it as being a USB2 device, and the speeds are limited to 30mb/s (basically USB2 speeds).

Is being returned, looking for a reliable replacement.

Actually I just did the test with the Western Digital 2.5" 500GB HDD on my Mac Mini. The read/ write speed of the HDD in the hub is about 114mb/s which totally met my satisfaction since it's only a cord-free 2 in 1 USB hub.

I've aslo attached a speed test pic, hope this helps.

DiskSpeedTest.png

Inateck HBU3VL2-4 ES 4-Port USB3 hub for for a couple of months, for use on my Macbookpro 2011, usb via expresscard 34, cladigit; and macbook pro late 2013.
I have used this on mountain lion and mavericks, and my overall opinion is that indeed, this item is outstanding.

Having been given the first item as a gift for review. I was so impressed, that i have two (one as a gift), with one as a travel buddy for my macbook.

PRESENTATION/ CONFIG
The hub is really very small and takes next no no space. It also has a relatively small usb connector, thus, reducing clutter on my desk. I have multiple longer extensions, but the one supplied is perfect size for my needs. The presentation is excellent, the item looks well constructed, and over the past few months of continuous use, including taking it to work daily, has remained full intact, unlike other more expensive hubs i had purchased in the past. The usb slots are snugly and well fitted, and crafted well - spaced not too far or close. The metal plate over the usb sockets manifest a sophisticated and refined product' with several of my colleagues commenting that the item appears 'expensive'.
The LAN socket is sturdy, and located on the distal end of the hub.

The item came well presented in secure packaging, with appropriate documentation. The cardboard box, housing the product is rather robust, and now used to secure my old SSD, that i carry around as a USB3 scratch / thumb drive (in addition to my micro sata-usb3 dock)

TESTING:
Test involved a standardised folder containing: ,mixture of small doc/pdfs and large movie files, some over 2gb [test was repeated 5 times, average taken]

USB2 Test; sandisk extreme pen drive = 38mb/s write; usb 2 2GB via inatack dock - 37mb write, 44mb's read.
USB 3, using same peripherals as above, have me 135m/s read; 110m/s write
NB

I have tested this dock with a plethora of usb devices, all working well.
USB3 devices, dell ultrasharp monitor hub, sandisk extreme usb pendrive, OWC dock, segate go flex, usb3 hdd dock, buffalo 2tb hdd, ssk thumb drive (nb i did notice a significant drop in the ssk usb3, even when connected natively to my macbook pro; also if using several usb peripheral simultaneously, reduced peak i/o, thus only one peripheral was sequentially tested).

Overall, this item is incredibly reliable, sturdy, robust and performs as well as some of the enterprise solutions out in the wild! For continuous use over the past 3 months, performance and resilience has remained unscathed, despite heavy use and many trips in my laptop bag!

Cons - honestly can not fault this item what so ever!

Teddymama

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2013
Inateck HBU3VL2-4 ES 4-Port USB3 hub for for a couple of months, for use on my Macbookpro 2011, usb via expresscard 34, cladigit; and macbook pro late 2013.
I have used this on mountain lion and mavericks, and my overall opinion is that indeed, this item is outstanding.

Having been given the first item as a gift for review. I was so impressed, that i have two (one as a gift), with one as a travel buddy for my macbook.

PRESENTATION/ CONFIG
The hub is really very small and takes next no no space. It also has a relatively small usb connector, thus, reducing clutter on my desk. I have multiple longer extensions, but the one supplied is perfect size for my needs. The presentation is excellent, the item looks well constructed, and over the past few months of continuous use, including taking it to work daily, has remained full intact, unlike other more expensive hubs i had purchased in the past. The usb slots are snugly and well fitted, and crafted well - spaced not too far or close. The metal plate over the usb sockets manifest a sophisticated and refined product' with several of my colleagues commenting that the item appears 'expensive'.
The LAN socket is sturdy, and located on the distal end of the hub.

The item came well presented in secure packaging, with appropriate documentation. The cardboard box, housing the product is rather robust, and now used to secure my old SSD, that i carry around as a USB3 scratch / thumb drive (in addition to my micro sata-usb3 dock)

TESTING:
Test involved a standardised folder containing: ,mixture of small doc/pdfs and large movie files, some over 2gb [test was repeated 5 times, average taken]

USB2 Test; sandisk extreme pen drive = 38mb/s write; usb 2 2GB via inatack dock - 37mb write, 44mb's read.
USB 3, using same peripherals as above, have me 135m/s read; 110m/s write
NB

I have tested this dock with a plethora of usb devices, all working well.
USB3 devices, dell ultrasharp monitor hub, sandisk extreme usb pendrive, OWC dock, segate go flex, usb3 hdd dock, buffalo 2tb hdd, ssk thumb drive (nb i did notice a significant drop in the ssk usb3, even when connected natively to my macbook pro; also if using several usb peripheral simultaneously, reduced peak i/o, thus only one peripheral was sequentially tested).

Overall, this item is incredibly reliable, sturdy, robust and performs as well as some of the enterprise solutions out in the wild! For continuous use over the past 3 months, performance and resilience has remained unscathed, despite heavy use and many trips in my laptop bag!

Cons - honestly can not fault this item what so ever!

Thanks for the very detailed review. Looking good!

dspilman

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I use my rMBP as my everyday, all day machine. At work I have it setup with 2 Dell monitors taking up the Thunderbolt ports. I needed a solutions for wired internet and couldn't do the Apple TB->ethernet due to both ports being used.

I just bought the US version of this product, made by HooToo. (never had heard of them until I saw this thread). I bought it on Amazon. Cheaper than most other ethernet adaptors I've seen from Apply or other companies.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GQUHMTA

I downloaded the drivers from the Hootoo website (product comes with drivers on CD, but rMBP of course has no optical drive). The product is plugged in and is working flawlessly. Great speeds. I use my rMBP as my main computer at work, where many projects are worked on from the shared company NAS. For months I've been working on wifi. Now being on wired internet is making a huge difference in this kind of work. Right now I'm getting 56 Mbps DL and 12 Mbps UL. Compared to other computers at the office with a direct ethernet connection and they were almost the same.

The quality of the product is very good. Nice heavy gauge cable and quality USB connections. It is awesome that this product not only gives me wired internet, but also expands my USB 3.0 ports!!! Highly recommend if you're working on a rMBP and need wired internet.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Does it really need drivers?

Two of you mentioned the drivers, did you try it without?

Pretty unusual for Mac to need drivers for this sort of device.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
According to Amazon review I read, not only does it need drivers (which I assume are for the ethernet port function) but that they crash under Mavericks...

Just took delivery of mine and will be posting my own thoughts on the device after I've had some time to play with it but so far so good. I installed the drivers from the disc that the hub shipped with and haven't had any crashes nor instability in Mavericks when disconnecting the adapter from my iMac.

The driver available for download at Inateck's site appears to be the same as the one on the disc it ships with.

----------

Does it really need drivers?

Two of you mentioned the drivers, did you try it without?

Pretty unusual for Mac to need drivers for this sort of device.

Yes, it needs drivers and yes, they are for the Ethernet port. If you only intended to use the device as a USB3 hub then you wouldn't have to install the drivers.

xiaoning

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
Just took delivery of mine and will be posting my own thoughts on the device after I've had some time to play with it but so far so good. I installed the drivers from the disc that the hub shipped with and haven't had any crashes nor instability in Mavericks when disconnecting the adapter from my iMac.

The driver available for download at Inateck's site appears to be the same as the one on the disc it ships with.

----------

Yes, it needs drivers and yes, they are for the Ethernet port. If you only intended to use the device as a USB3 hub then you wouldn't have to install the drivers.

How did you get it to work? I installed the driver and restarted. When I connect the ethernet cable, I can add the USB to Ethernet interface through the Network preference pane, but it always show as "Not Connected". Is there anything else that I missed?

Thank you!

EDIT:
It's working now... I have to disconnect the wifi first...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.