Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In early September, Adobe rolled out the Photoshop Photography Program, a $9.99 per month subscription that included access to Photoshop Creative Cloud, Adobe Lightroom, 20GB of online storage and a membership to Adobe's Behance portfolio website.

At the time, it was only available to current owners of Photoshop CS3 or higher, but the company is temporarily expanding the program to all purchasers, regardless of their previous purchase history with Photoshop. Anyone can get the membership for $9.99 per month -- albeit with a one-year plan -- if they sign up by December 2.

photoshop.jpg
For a limited time, you can join a special Creative Cloud plan. It includes access to Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5, plus feature updates and upgrades as they are available, 20GB of cloud storage for file sharing and collaboration, and a Behance ProSite. And it's just US $9.99/month when you sign up for a one-year plan, but you need to join by December 2, 2013. Questions? See our FAQ and terms.
The Photoshop Photography Program is available through Adobe's website.

The standard Photoshop Creative Cloud membership for new users is $19.99 per month, and does not include Lightroom.

Update: Adobe has extended the promotion through December 8.

Update 2: Adobe has once again extended the deal until December 31.

Article Link: Adobe Offering Photoshop CC and Lightroom for $9.99/Month to All Users Through December 2 [Updated]

Verita

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Atlanta/London
Wow, good deal! I imagine 20 GB of cloud storage by itself is typically around $10 a month. So you getting two industry leading pieces of software for free for a year.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
I wonder if Adobe's adoption rate for CC hasn't been as robust as they had hoped...

Or if people canceled their memberships after having their customer accounts and credit cards hacked and stolen.

I think some security experts should give Adobe a $9.99/month subscription plan by Dec 2nd, so Adobe might learn how to setup and maintain proper Computer/Internet security.

Why would I want to pay Adobe to lose my Credit Card info?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Does anybody know what will happen to the price after 1y is up?

According to the terms:

Renewal
After the first 12 months, we will automatically renew your contract based on the current price of the offering.

So I'm guessing it goes up to $19.99/month? Not sure since I didn't think they offer a Photoshop+Lightroom package previously.

-Kevin

GuyCalledPete

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
Typical Adobe pricing scam

$9.99 for everyone*

*EU customers charged 12.29 Euro ($16.55)

If Adobe offered anything like US pricing for EU customers, I'd have signed up for a package a long time ago - I had my wallet at the ready for this deal, and put it away again as soon as I saw the EUR/USD disparity.

Adobe can go and ream themselves with a rusty fork before I give them money under these circumstances.

-- Pete.

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
I've been paying $19.99 a month for a year now for the entire Adobe Creative Cloud suite. Gotta love the student and teacher discount. :D

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
Does anybody know what will happen to the price after 1y is up?

Do what I did. Click on the "terms" in the description for your answer.

----------

Why would I want to pay Adobe to lose my Credit Card info?

Stop being silly. Sadly lots or companies are being hacked. So extend your concerns and stop using all your cards. Tear them up and trash them. Then you'll feel safer.

----------

No thanks, I don't rent licenses.

Agreed. I'll never pay Adobe a rental fee for a program like Photoshop.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
The "Creative Cloud"

It looked like a good idea, but Adobe has a huge problem with security. It starts with Flash, which is a plugin, and is full of ways to circumvent my computer's security because it's a plugin. The way they handled the breach was also revealing: first they talked about a low number of possible breaches, but it turned out that 30 million or so had their usernames and passwords, and their credit cards, out there for thieves to go for.

It's not all Adobe. The users of these accounts used passwords like "123456" and "password" and the like, making themselves easy prey. Part of why passwords are broken. We need a better way of id'ing yourself that doesn't involve passwords primarily.

But it seems that my graphic artist friend who said he wouldn't use Creative Cloud on a bet was very right.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
That's just about a lifetime too short.

I don't care how low the price is: I don't buy things with reoccurring fees.

elemenoP

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
First hit is free, said the drug dealer.

Of course Adobe would want to lure in as many users as possible with a great introductory offer. Because what are you doing to do when the year is up? Go back to old versions or pay whatever Adobe makes you pay?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
It sounds like Adobe didn't attract enough of its core users to make the money they were hoping for with the original 9.99 deal so they're expanding this to everyone. :rolleyes:

Those who say this is a good deal are either easily fooled or just don't know any better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.