Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ocnitsa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Hi Folks,

I have a MBPr and 2011 iMac. I can connect them via Thunderbolt and boot both into OSX and the iMac works fine in Target Display Mode as a monitor for the laptop.

I'm aware that Apple documentation claims Target Display Mode won't work in bootcamp, but I'm wondering if anyone figured out any workarounds.

I would like to boot the iMac in OSX, boot the MBPr in bootcamp, and then use the big iMac screen as a target display so that I can play games on it. (It's integrated graphics sucks compared to the MBPr.)

While I've seen claims that it will never work, I've seen folks online get PC computers running with an old iMac as a target display...not via ScreenRecycler or virtual machines or anything that would destroy performance.

So, does anyone know any way it could work? I'm using Mavericks on the iMac and Windows 7 64 bit on the MBPr in bootcamp. I saw that the Apple document that said TDM won't work with bootcamp specifically mentioned Windows 7...I'm wondering if upgrading to Windows 8 would make it work. Anyone out there have any luck with this?

Xquizit

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
I felt compelled to answer your unanswered question after researching this today..

Only solution I've found so far is AirDisplay.. Normally it creates a 2nd display over a WiFi connection, but there's an option for using an Ethernet cable for faster latency.. Not sure how it would work out for gaming, but worth a try

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Have you tried it? I think it might be that Target Display mode doesn't work when the target(iMac) is booted from Windows.

It can't hurt to try if you haven't already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.