Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timelessmelodee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Hi there,

I am trying to return my 2008 MacBook (white plastic body) to the factory settings by reinstalling it from the original disc.

I start the computer up with the disc inside, and hold down C, however all that happens is you can hear the disc starts spinning, then stops. then starts again, then stops spinning. It doesn't actually boot from it :mad:

Anyone know what the problem is, and how I can fix this?!

many thanks!

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Insert the DVD then shut down your Mac. Restart while holding down the Option/Alt key. After a short while you should see icons of the available Start Up discs; ie your MacHD plus the DVD. If you see the DVD then select it and continue.

timelessmelodee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
thanks for your reply.
I tried that, but it didn't work..just stayed grey. It's like the drive isn't recognizing or booting the disc, despite the fact it's the original one that came with the macbook, and it's in great condition (no scratches atall)..
any ideas of what might be happening?
thanks

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
As the poster above mentioned, there is a possibility that the SuperDrive isn't working right, or perhaps the lens is just dirty (a possibility if you haven't used it much lately).

There are some "cleaning DVDs" available that might work. I've never used one, but others have reported that doing so helped in some circumstances.

There are other strategies that could work.

Do you have access to an external drive?

timelessmelodee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
right so it might be the superdrive? i tried a cleaner cd I have here but still doesn't work :(. I just played a dvd on it though and it worked fine?!
Any other ideas as to what it could be?
thanks alot

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says…I really suspect the drive is the issue, especially given the age of the computer. laptop drives are a little more fragile than others and I had both the '08 and '09 models here replaced just before Applecare expired.

Does the drive read/write other discs ok? Any other bootable discs around - like Diskwarrior etc etc to confirm it's the drive and not the disc?

If you (or a friend) has and external drive you can plug in and boot that way you'd get the desired result, but it you're doing to sell the old laptop then of course a faulty drive reduces the value - whether the cost of fixing is recoverable on resale is debatable, I'd guess probably not on something that old????

Test every combo of possibilities you can - that narrows it down really quickly….oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.