Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tweetbot.jpg
Tapbots has updated Tweetbot for Mac to version 1.4, adding both smoother scrolling and the ability to reply to tweets or DMs directly from notifications for users who are running OS X 10.9 Mavericks.

The updated app also includes faster refreshing on lists and saved searches, as well as several different bug fixes and performance enhancements.
What's New in Version 1.4
- Smoother Scrolling (10.9 only)
- You can now reply to tweets/DMs from the notification itself (10.9 only)
- Lists and saved searches now refresh every 2 minutes instead of 4
- Fixed the issue where you'd see 'Please enable wifi' when fetching your location while composing a tweet
- Fixed the issue where searching your timeline, then scrolling to top then dismissing search field could move your timeline to the top
- Fixed a potential issue where app could hang when using secondary windows
- Fixed a few issues on 10.7
- Various bug fixes and improvements for 10.9
Tweetbot can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $19.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tweetbot for Mac Updated With Scrolling Improvements, Replies From Notifications

edgarf28

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
Just updated it... but not happy with the update at all!

Switching between Twitter Lists takes sometimes ~ 5 seconds now!? :confused:

I've already tried to clean install the newest update of Tweetbot again (cleaned all the app files with CleanmyMac), but doesn't help.

EDIT: Also the refreshing animation when scrolling/pulling from the top seems to be chunky and not smooth at all. This wasn't the case with the previous build.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
I'm not buying it now considering a redesign will probably come with another $20 price tag next year.

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Not related to mac, but does anyone feel like tweetbot accelerates battery loss? I felt like this on the 4S and 5 and I get the same feeling on my 5s. I swear that my phone feels a little warmer when tweetbot is being used compared to the default twitter app.

Maybe I'm going crazy.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I would buy Tweetbot for Mac, but hesitant because I suspect Tweetbot 2 for Mac will be a paid update. I have not hesitated to fork over $2.99 for the iPhone version (and I have purchased iPad version as well), but $19.99 for a Twitter client is a different matter entirely. I would like more long term support.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I would buy Tweetbot for Mac, but hesitant because I suspect Tweetbot 2 for Mac will be a paid update. I have not hesitated to fork over $2.99 for the iPhone version (and I have purchased iPad version as well), but $19.99 for a Twitter client is a different matter entirely. I would like more long term support.

I'm not Paul's biggest fan, but making you pay for an update is how developers stay in business. Microsoft doesn't give you free updates to Windows/Office. Until now, Apple didn't give you free updates of OS X or iLife or iWork. Just because it's on an app store doesn't mean the developers suddenly have the ability to work for free.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I'm not Paul's biggest fan, but making you pay for an update is how developers stay in business. Microsoft doesn't give you free updates to Windows/Office. Until now, Apple didn't give you free updates of OS X or iLife or iWork. Just because it's on an app store doesn't mean the developers suddenly have the ability to work for free.

I don't disagree and I have purchased numerous apps from Tapbots (Convertbot, Calcbot, Tweetbot for iPhone, Tweetbot 2 for iPhone, Tweetbot for iPad, Pastebot).

And when it comes to Tweetbot for Mac, I understand and sympathize with Tapbots since Twitter is imposing token limits, which hampers how much they can earn from their effort.

Having said that, $19.99 for a Twitter client is a borderline ridiculous, especially since Tapbots may roll out a paid version 2 upgrade to coincide with OS X 10.10.

mikegunnill

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2008
App Store via the UK reporting: " item temporarily not available. Please try later " for Tweetbot upgrade.

elvisofdallas

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Northwest Louisiana
It should be explained in advance this is the Tweetbot upgrade plan

Not everybody knows about the previous upgrade for a fee, so...

Actually, that's the model. Everything in the app store = free updates for life, which is one of the challenges with the model. In-app paid updates (which as a developer, I recognize are more difficult to design) are more palatable for many, and there's always the option of charging more for the apps in the beginning (or after you have a following that praises the app).

Remember, the Angry Birds series is still updating *very old* versions of the game with new content, bringing in new buyers and greatly pleasing the people who bought one of the games early on. I sympathize with the companies that have large developer teams and I understand why Real Mac Software has gone to a "no discounts" strategy for pricing -- but Tweetbot is only one challenger away from vanishing. It's by far the best client IMHO and I own the original, 2, and 3 for iOS and the Mac version - but if another company duplicated the functionality and style (which happens all the time), how many people would change? Probably quite a few.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
but Tweetbot is only one challenger away from vanishing. It's by far the best client IMHO and I own the original, 2, and 3 for iOS and the Mac version - but if another company duplicated the functionality and style (which happens all the time), how many people would change? Probably quite a few.

The problem with developing a new Twitter client– and the reason you haven't seen new ones– is that the total number of sales are capped by Twitter itself.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I stand corrected.

I contacted Tapbots and they promise free version 2 update for existing 1.x users. So I just purchased. The app feels somewhat outdated (as with Tweetbot for iPad), but functionally good.

DJMeat

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2013
London

I could be wrong but I read that while Tweetbot 2 for iPhone and iPad will be paid upgrades, the updated OSX client will be free. For the time being, at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.