Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
i have iphone 5, bought last year, device only from apple store. it has lately been crashing, have completely wiped and setup new, and also losing battery very fast.

i have setup genius bar appointment, for the 1st time, and wanted to get some tips and ideas on how to approach genius, so i can get replacement.

any tips and ideas are appreciated.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
i have iphone 5, bought last year, device only from apple store. it has lately been crashing, have completely wiped and setup new, and also losing battery very fast.

i have setup genius bar appointment, for the 1st time, and wanted to get some tips and ideas on how to approach genius, so i can get replacement.

any tips and ideas are appreciated.

Just be nice, poltite, honest and make your case. I and many others have found them to be very accommodating.

Good Luck.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Is your phone under warranty? If so (as mentioned), be nice, polite, and honest and you'll likely get a replacement without issue.

If your phone is no longer under any warranty, be all of the above and don't demand, feel entitled, or even expect them to simply hand you a free replacement- and they might just surprise you.

Also, don't try to make a sob story for yourself. They've already heard far too many and far worse ones and they'll already see that it's your first time there from their own records.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You don't need any "tips" to get a replacement if it's under warranty.

But if it's no longer under warranty and you bought it with a credit card that mirrors the 1 year warranty, file a claim with the CC company.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Wipe the device to Factory so they can't pull the logs. Tell them that you have been having issues for a month or so and you lose battery very fast. That you already reset the device once and the problem still persists so you reset it again and brought it in. Usually they will just swap it out if it is under warranty.

zunairryk

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Wipe the device to Factory so they can't pull the logs. Tell them that you have been having issues for a month or so and you lose battery very fast. That you already reset the device once and the problem still persists so you reset it again and brought it in. Usually they will just swap it out if it is under warranty.

This was true in the past but not anymore. I was having some dropped calls on my iphone. So I reset the phone, brought it to apple store and was told that they need to confirm the issue before they could replace it. So I was told to come back in a few days so they can see the logs.

Also, if you have a bad battery they will simply swap the battery on the spot. They have become a lot more strict from my experience. I remember they used to replace the whole device even for minor issues without having to confirm. That was a nice perk of owning an apple device. Oh well. Still not bad though. At least I don't have to ship my product and must have a receipt or something that a lot of companies require.

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
This was true in the past but not anymore. I was having some dropped calls on my iphone. So I reset the phone, brought it to apple store and was told that they need to confirm the issue before they could replace it. So I was told to come back in a few days so they can see the logs.

Also, if you have a bad battery they will simply swap the battery on the spot. They have become a lot more strict from my experience. I remember they used to replace the whole device even for minor issues without having to confirm. That was a nice perk of owning an apple device. Oh well. Still not bad though. At least I don't have to ship my product and must have a receipt or something that a lot of companies require.

It really all depends on who you talk to and where. And I'm honestly impressed at any store having the ability to perform extensive repairs on a walk-in basis.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

If he's having crashes, the logs will actually HELP his situation, so wiping them won't really serve a purpose.

In any case, if the OP is sending diagnostic info to Apple, they already have the logs and can pull them.

akron0488

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2013
If he's having crashes, the logs will actually HELP his situation, so wiping them won't really serve a purpose.

In any case, if the OP is sending diagnostic info to Apple, they already have the logs and can pull them.

Actually it just depends on who you get. If you have the logs they might say, "do a restore then bring it back." If you've recently done a restore they might say, "there isn't enough data on the logs to confirm the issue, use it a while and then bring it back."

Kind of a catch 22, and an annoying one at that. Just make your appt. for 10 min prior to closing. That'll usually get you a new one.

troyhouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
thanks for all the wonderful tips. my phone is under warranty.

i was not planning to wipe the device before the appointment, but it seems its better to do that, so i will wipe the device, and stick with crashing and battery losing charge issue description (which i am experiencing).

btw, any chance that they will replace ip5 with ip5S ;)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
i was not planning to wipe the device before the appointment, but it seems its better to do that, so i will wipe the device, and stick with crashing and battery losing charge issue description (which i am experiencing).

It's better not to wipe it before taking it in and allow them to check it out in its current state (as well as get essential usage data). You can always wipe it on the fly if they agree to replace it. Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings. Be sure to unlink Find My iPhone, FaceTime and iMessages before you wipe it.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
thanks for all the wonderful tips. my phone is under warranty.

btw, any chance that they will replace ip5 with ip5S ;)

No. And you wiping it and restoring as new will fix as many of the IOS7 issues as it can. They won't replace anything without doing that.

eastamherstbias

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012

Nope you don't want to help the situation. The more knowledge the more they start doing a rundown of solutions. Usually the geniuses are overwhelmed with people. If you are nice and have no logs they will just swap it out. I have done this three times to quick and satisfactory results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.