Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Why do the iMac's enter safe sleep even though they wouldn't lose data because they are always connected to the mains.

I am talking about this; http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1757

It says:

"This is normal behavior for the following models:

MacBook Pro (Mid 2012 and later)
MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012 and later)
MacBook Air (Mid 2012 and later)
iMac (Late 2012 and later)
Mac mini (Late 2012 and later) "

Why have this feature on iMac's?

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Don't you have the answer in the same link you posted ?

There are two situations in which a computer will enter safe sleep:

1. In the event the battery becomes completely depleted while the computer is asleep, the computer will shut down. But when a power adapter is connected or a freshly charged battery is installed, the computer can be restarted. Press the power button as if turning the computer on and it will automatically return to the desktop state that existed prior to entering sleep. This means that applications and files will remain exactly as they were prior to the computer being put to sleep, making it easy for you to continue with your work.

2. With the release of the OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 supplemental update 2.0, a new feature was introduced to enter safe sleep after four hours of the computer being connected to AC power. This is an effort to comply with the European Energy Standards (ErP Lot6). This will only occur if there is no wireless or Ethernet activity and no activity from external devices such as USB storage devices.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Don't you have the answer in the same link you posted ?

There are two situations in which a computer will enter safe sleep:

1. In the event the battery becomes completely depleted while the computer is asleep, the computer will shut down. But when a power adapter is connected or a freshly charged battery is installed, the computer can be restarted. Press the power button as if turning the computer on and it will automatically return to the desktop state that existed prior to entering sleep. This means that applications and files will remain exactly as they were prior to the computer being put to sleep, making it easy for you to continue with your work.

2. With the release of the OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2 supplemental update 2.0, a new feature was introduced to enter safe sleep after four hours of the computer being connected to AC power. This is an effort to comply with the European Energy Standards (ErP Lot6). This will only occur if there is no wireless or Ethernet activity and no activity from external devices such as USB storage devices.

So it is nothing to worry about then?

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2013
Safe sleep seems to make my MBP slow and / or unstable, both otherwise, no.

Ok. I just had it there (has been in sleep for around 20 hours) and it only taken 7 seconds for it to be usable. I'm fine with that (and that is with the 5400rpm HDD, not a FD or SSD). As long as it doesn't mean my HDD is broken/faulty, I don't mind it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.