Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
Is there any way I can reply to an email and attach my resume without having to compose a fresh email from within another app where my resume is stored and having to type in the recipients email address manually? If there is, I can't figure it out, so please help me. If there isn't, then there should be.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there any way I can reply to an email and attach my resume without having to compose a fresh email from within another app where my resume is stored and having to type in the recipients email address manually? If there is, I can't figure it out, so please help me. If there isn't, then there should be.

Unfortunately, no. You can insert a photo or video in a reply, but no other file types.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
Unfortunately, no. You can insert a photo or video in a reply, but no other file types.

iDisk would have probably been a good solution if it still existed. But I'm surprised they won't let you take a document from Pages in the cloud. Maybe another third party email app can take a document straight from dropbox?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
iDisk would have probably been a good solution if it still existed. But I'm surprised they won't let you take a document from Pages in the cloud. Maybe another third party email app can take a document straight from dropbox?

You could probably go to Dropbox and copy the files URL and paste it in the reply.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can select files in the Dropbox app and choose to send them by email, but it doesn't insert the actual document. Instead, it inserts a link to the file in your Dropbox folder. If you're talking about PDFs, you can open those in the Adobe Reader app, then select to email them and it will attach the PDF to a new email, but not to a reply. You can, however, copy the PDF from the new email and paste it into a reply. It's an extra step, but at least it accomplishes what you want.
You could probably go to Dropbox and copy the files URL and paste it in the reply.
That doesn't work, as the Dropbox app doesn't give you an option to copy the file, but rather to copy a link to the file.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
How would Sir Jony Ive send blueprints of the new iPhone 6 to his boss if he freaking can't attach the files? Its mind boggling stupid.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The dumb thing is, they're halfway there.

The phone HAS that information. If you're in one "file storage" app and try to send a file to another app it shows you all the apps that can accept files.

So the phone already has the list of apps you've installed that can share files.

They just have to add a "attach file" button in mail and make it so it shows you that list! You know, the one it already has!

Then, they'd have to make an API for apps to use that basically says "when mail is asking for a file, what should I show it?" Each app will probably answer that question differently, but I can promise you they'll all jump at the chance to implement it.

Jbenn425

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
New Jersey
How would Sir Jony Ive send blueprints of the new iPhone 6 to his boss if he freaking can't attach the files? Its mind boggling stupid.

He would have to do it through his Mac. Either that or use one of the complex detours listed on this thread that should not even be necessary. Or email the file from the app that it's in by composing a new message and typing in Tim Cook's email address manually.

----------

The dumb thing is, they're halfway there.

The dumber thing is that you can't even attach a file from Apple's own iWork suite and iCloud, nevermind third party apps.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

I agree. This is one of the few things with iOS that I simply can't understand why they wouldn't allow.

Press and hold, get the menu up, "insert file", choose type of file, see the photos section/iBooks PDF section/Pages/Numbers/whatever app that saves copyright free content, choose the file, send.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can select files in the Dropbox app and choose to send them by email, but it doesn't insert the actual document. Instead, it inserts a link to the file in your Dropbox folder. If you're talking about PDFs, you can open those in the Adobe Reader app, then select to email them and it will attach the PDF to a new email, but not to a reply. You can, however, copy the PDF from the new email and paste it into a reply. It's an extra step, but at least it accomplishes what you want.

That doesn't work, as the Dropbox app doesn't give you an option to copy the file, but rather to copy a link to the file.
Similar copy/paste type of thing can be done with a photo or a video I would guess. So, at least for a few types of files this kind of thing--attaching something to a reply--can be done with a copy/paste workaround of sorts.

gomoq13

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2013
Singapore
Similar copy/paste type of thing can be done with a photo or a video I would guess. So, at least for a few types of files this kind of thing--attaching something to a reply--can be done with a copy/paste workaround of sorts.

This is exactly what I do. Copy paste. :D

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I have my resume in iBooks. I pull it into a blank email then copy it and paste it into the target email I'm replying to. It pastes the PDF just fine.

Another option is to always email your current resume to yourself and save it in a mail folder. When you need it navigate to the saved email then copy the resume PDF and paste it into the target email.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
This where a file system is needed. People shouldnt have to go from app to app to app looking for ways to attach and find files. This is only an issue of Apple arrogance of not believing people need a file system so wont provide one.

To me it's SJ biggest failure and Cooks too for not realising that iOS devices arent just about web surfing, music and social networking. Now they are tools for business but are lacking.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
This where a file system is needed. People shouldnt have to go from app to app to app looking for ways to attach and find files. This is only an issue of Apple arrogance of not believing people need a file system so wont provide one.

To me it's SJ biggest failure and Cooks too for not realising that iOS devices arent just about web surfing, music and social networking. Now they are tools for business but are lacking.

We don't even need a file system they could just add share intent for apps like on Android. They already do it for some of the built in apps.

dgr874

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2012
Texas
I have my resume in iBooks. I pull it into a blank email then copy it and paste it into the target email I'm replying to. It pastes the PDF just fine.

Another option is to always email your current resume to yourself and save it in a mail folder. When you need it navigate to the saved email then copy the resume PDF and paste it into the target email.

Can you describe how you cut/paste a PDF that way? When I try to do it all I get is an image of the attachment, not the attachment itself. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.