Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
This is ONLY for 5G owners... For previous versions I would absolutely get the next version...

BUY the Next Ipod Touch? I cant justify a newer version... to do the SAME things I do now... Listen to music, use as iphone (talkatone app), cyclo computer, Stream CNBC...

What would MAKE you ???
GPS
Great Price ... 300 for 64GB 400 for 128 GB

WHat would not impresss you ??
A7 processor - NO things are running just fine under IOS 7
128 GB... NO Loooking at a classic IPOD with 160GB for 225....
Better camera NO I dont take pictures with it now...

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Only if my Touch 5 had problems running IOS 8 or it broke. Currently, my Touch 5 runs IOS 7 great and has no need for an A7.

This. My ipod touch runs iOS 7 perfectly with no lag or stutter. It works well for what I use it for, apps, music, videos, games, email, Web browsing etc.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
This is ONLY for 5G owners... For previous versions I would absolutely get the next version...

BUY the Next Ipod Touch?
I will replace my 5th gen iPod touch when it can no longer do what I use it for. I replaced my 3rd gen iPod touch when I started running in to apps that needed iOS 6 or later and also it was time for a battery replacement.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
While I don't own a 5th gen touch, I have a 4th gen, and I'm waiting until the next generation is released so I don't get another iPod that is 2 years behind hardware-wise. I want to have the current, and the 5th gen isn't really that right now, even though it would be a step up from my 4th gen. So I plan on skipping the 5th gen and I'm hoping for a 6th with an A7 and nicer camera too.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Not currently. I only use it for imessage, facetime and as a nightstand device. For all of that it does just fine. I love it though, especially the screen. Performance is still great given the specs. I still have it on iOS 6 and will probably keep it on there forever. We'll see what the next one brings. Done with upgrading devices for now. Going to try and see how long I can stick with my electronics. At 11 months with the phone and iPads and 13 months with then iPod. New record for me.

jeffsmitth

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
no i have no need to replace it now i am using ios 7 and it is best for me i like its apps and features so i will not replace it untill it is broken ot stollen then i will replace it with a new A7.

itsmeorthedog

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2013
I basically use my IPT 5 for work as a camera and flashlight. No interest in a newer model. It works perfectly well for what i use it for.

No upgrade for me.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
That's a hard question to answer... my first Touch was a 4G, now I'm rocking a 5G. People think that the next model is always just a question of improvements. But actually it can happen that some things go backward and are a downgrade. I tell you what I miss big time from the 4G - the automatic brightness adjustment. It sucks badly to have to constantly fiddle with adjusting the brightness, because Apple decided to remove the ambient light sensor when they went to 5G. That was a very substantial downgrade for me - sounds like a little matter, but it's actually huge deal to me, because I have to adjust it practically every time I'm using it. I hate, HATE, H A T E that!!!

So I might or might not upgrade to 6G depending on what crappy backward stuff Apple pulls next.

But I'm stuck now - I hate to upgrade simply because they're giving us back something we already had earlier only they removed it. If they give us back the ambient light sensor, but, say, downgrade the camera, are you gonna buy the 6G? That was a really, really, ****** thing to do, Apple!

Anyhow. I want the ambient sensor back. I want some kind of GPS chip in there, I'd like more room, say, 128, and if possible, a price cut. Give me a 6G like that at $250 and we have a deal. Otherwise, I'll just wait to see what they come up with.

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Probably not -- to be honest, even though I've always been a big iPod touch fan, most of my needs will be filled by the iPad Mini that I'll be getting soon. I'll keep using this iPod until it conks out, and then that will be that I think.

Kargo

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
Nope, the iPod Touch 5G does everything I want it to do and that's mainly play music. I have a 64 GB model and to me, the capacity comes before any fancy features. I would have even got an iPod Classic if it had flash-based storage.

MacSery

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
Russia
All I need is longest battery life. When I listen to music it's OK, but when I play the games, shooting videos, etc, itsn't OK.

sammy-boy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2013
Staffordshire, UK
I'll probably get an upgrade when (or if?) the 6th gen comes out. I've a 16gb 5th gen Touch and sometimes miss not having a rear camera.

I've always liked the Touch, having had a 2nd and a couple of 4th gen ones previously, they're great for casual browsing or social media in bed or in the house, even when out too as our broadband provider has lots of wifi hotspots to use as part of the plan. Also great for tethering to my phone when out and about, especially at work where the signal is awful! I hope Apple don't drop it from their lineup, I'd miss the Touch if it went.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Normally I wouldn't; it does what it supposed to do. Playing music and audiobooks.
But: in my current situation I would get a newer one as my iPod Touch 5G has too less storage for my stuff. My wife listen to the sales guy saying 32GB is enough. It's not ! :eek:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
That's a hard question to answer... my first Touch was a 4G, now I'm rocking a 5G. People think that the next model is always just a question of improvements. But actually it can happen that some things go backward and are a downgrade. I tell you what I miss big time from the 4G - the automatic brightness adjustment. It sucks badly to have to constantly fiddle with adjusting the brightness, because Apple decided to remove the ambient light sensor when they went to 5G. That was a very substantial downgrade for me - sounds like a little matter, but it's actually huge deal to me, because I have to adjust it practically every time I'm using it. I hate, HATE, H A T E that!!!

So I might or might not upgrade to 6G depending on what crappy backward stuff Apple pulls next.

But I'm stuck now - I hate to upgrade simply because they're giving us back something we already had earlier only they removed it. If they give us back the ambient light sensor, but, say, downgrade the camera, are you gonna buy the 6G? That was a really, really, ****** thing to do, Apple!

Anyhow. I want the ambient sensor back. I want some kind of GPS chip in there, I'd like more room, say, 128, and if possible, a price cut. Give me a 6G like that at $250 and we have a deal. Otherwise, I'll just wait to see what they come up with.

And also that the lens for the back camera sticks out in this one necessitating the purchase of a case to try to save the lens from scratches and gouges.

I do like the 'leash' though.

I use mine on airplanes so I can save my iPhone's battery, and to play music through BT speakers in hotel rooms. I have minimum apps and a substantial subset of my music and lectures on it. I used to use a Classic, but after dropping one years ago, would rather have the relative safety of not having a physical hard drive. I don't even use the Mail or Safari apps on it. Pictures I sync off rather than email.

I'd consider a 128G Touch, but probably wouldn't jump if it was just an A7 and/or a better camera type of nonsensical upgrade. And I keep forgetting about the sensor being dropped on this one. Annoying isn't quite the word. Haven't they always had that sensor? Puzzling why they would drop it. I guess I was more puzzled by the lens thing... Not 'Zen-like'...

Last edited:

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I would buy the next gen touch if it had a newer processor, better camera, battery indicator, digital compass, and better battery, with a 128GB option. Honestly if the screen got bigger that would also be a huge plus for me, but otherwise. I don't see much lag at all with the current touch on iOS 7. I can probably see the need to upgrade more so if iOS 8 slowed things down, and if the new touch had something like touch ID. (Like how Siri rolled out late for the iPod touch)

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
All I want is iPad-like 10 hour battery life (only get 6 hours of normal usage on my 5th gen currently), more RAM, and updated processor. No bigger in size.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
If I had a 5G touch, I would probably want to upgrade to the next generation. I've used one on iOS 7, and oh my it's laggy. My 5S has spoiled me :D

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
How long did you use it ? You have to be the the first person on these forums to claim that the Touch 5G lagged under IOS 7.

I didn't use it for very long, but I did see some stuttering in UI animations during the time that I did.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I would definitely get the next version if they offered more capacity like 128GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.