Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
I'm having trouble modifying a partition on my external drive.

I have a 1Tb WD external drive. I had put a back up of my internal drive onto the External. Then, I partitioned the External. I'm not sure I did it the best way. I think I first shrunk the original partition down to 750 gb, then added the second partition. I would like to re-size the partitions again, but it wont let me resize the second partition. It says that the partition can't be modified, and when I click info, it says "Owners Enabled: No."

Any idea how to fix this?

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
This is what disc utility looks like:

10983857564_f29acc3308_z.jpg

blueshirt31

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
First you need to shrink Backup partition to create empty space and then you should be able to extend the Media partition to allocate the available free space.

Hrothgar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
New York
Well, that didn't work. I shrunk the first partition, but the second still says that it can't be modified:

10984700414_b6132eae67_z.jpg

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I suspect you will have to copy the data to another external, reformat the current, and re-copy.

Pretty sure you can expand a partiton backwards..ie expand "media" into space formerly used by "backup"

blueshirt31

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
It appears old-wiz is right. According to this: http://pondini.org/OSX/DU4.html

You can expand a partition, but only by moving the "bottom" of it down in the diagram, into empty space. You cannot move the "top" of a partition.

I thought you could expand Media partition once you shrink the Backup partition. One option is to do what old-wiz suggested, copy the data from your disk and then copy it back. I assume you do not have to delete both partitions. Just Media partition, shrink Backup to the size you wish and then create new Media partition and copy back data. Other solution is to use third-party tool such as iPartition to do what you need. I am not much familiar with (free) tools for Mac. In any case, before doing anything make sure to make a backup of your drive first.

Good luck!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Suggestion:

1. Copy the contents of the second (lower) partition to another drive

2. Re-initialize the drive, and set up with partition sizes desired.

3. Re-create your backup on the first (upper) partition (CarbonCopyCloner would be a good choice). Aside: you should make the partition size for the backup large enough to accomodate "future growth".

4. Re-copy the contents of the lower partition.

This will work if nothing else does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.