Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
Occasionally when I try to unlock with touch id it doesn't work it doesn't even flash to say failed

If I key in my code to unlock then lock again and try again it works

Is this a bug or touch id failure?

Thanks

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Occasionally when I try to unlock with touch id it doesn't work it doesn't even flash to say failed

Thanks

Did you have Twitter open when it failed? There's quite a few threads on this. It's a bug.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Does it happen after a restart?
In order to use Touch ID, you'll have to enter the passcode at the first time after rebooting, no matter what.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Impossible to say. We can't tell why touch ID failed. It could be a software issue. It could be an issue with your finger, moisture or the way you placed your finger on the sensor. It could be an issue with the way you registered the fingerprint in the first place. As with troubleshooting anything, you need to rule out the possibilities.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
I do have twitter running but only in the app switcher list

Doesn't seem related to how dirty/clean my hands are. It simply doesn't register a finger at all at unlock.

For example if you try to unlock with the wrong finger it normally flashes the 4 circles and says try again. When i have the problem it doesn't flash.

It wasn't after restart either, i see those messages after restart it prompts me to type the password. With the problem its as if I'm not even touching the id sensor.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
I do have twitter running but only in the app switcher list

Doesn't seem related to how dirty/clean my hands are. It simply doesn't register a finger at all at unlock.

For example if you try to unlock with the wrong finger it normally flashes the 4 circles and says try again. When i have the problem it doesn't flash.

It wasn't after restart either, i see those messages after restart it prompts me to type the password. With the problem its as if I'm not even touching the id sensor.

There seems to be a issue with the FP sensor and twitter running. Haven't really read into it, but there are very recent threads about it on MR.

ylmzonr

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2013
Oklahoma
I had been experiencing this issue until deleting twitter app and restoring my phone. It has been almost 3 days since restore and it has not happened until now.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
It is so frustrating to see people continue to respond to this issue with "wash your hands" or some stupid crap like that.

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
It isn't an issue like "wash your hands" or "clean your screen" It's an honest bug where TouchID doesn't want to record or read your fingerprint correctly.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA

Thanks

There is another thread I commented on this. On my iPhone 5s at least, I have narrowed it down to the Official Twitter app causing the issue. Every single time TouchID stopped working (and by stopped working I mean it doesn't even attempt to read a finger print. No "Try Again" or anything. It behaves as if you don't have a TouchID sensor on your phone) after I manually entered my passcode the Twitter app would be the first thing I saw, every single time. Something must happen when the iPhone locks when the official Twitter app is running. As a test I decided to delete the Twitter app (and installed another Twitter client Twittelator Neue) for an entire week. After that I never had a single issue with TouchID. It worked great. I then reinstalled the official Twitter app since there was a new version released to see if it still caused issues, and within a short time (maybe 30 minutes) after I installed Twitter, TouchID again stopped working. I again deleted Twitter and so far have had no issues with TouchID.

For those experiencing the same issue with TouchID not even attemping to read your fingerprint, after you manually enter your passcode, is Twitter the app that appears? If not, which app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.