Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggmonogram

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Hi,

I purchased T-Mo rMini, and found out the reception at my work place sucks.

I would like to keep this T-Mo ver because I already applied screen protector to it, so I decided to go to AT&T and sign up for a $14.99 plan, which I did, however the way he signed me as is POST-PAID approach, which i was charged $36 1-tim activation fee plus a whole bunch of surcharges (like 911 fee on an iPad?!?!).

I called AT&T and they said I have to sign up as PRE-PAID. So that it will be like plug it in like regular iPad (ATT) user, sign up for the service on iPad.

So my question is, how can I get a brand new Nano SIM? I called that AT&T CS who signed me up he said he doesn't sell it (well.....), I also called Apple store they said I have to ask CARRIER to get my SIM, anyone experienced this before? Thanks for answering.

:confused:

jns2001

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Just go to an AT&T Store and ask for a chip, they will give it to you and you can sign up as pre paid from your ipad.

ggmonogram

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
i went to two store and they force it to activate with their post-paid plan which charges a lot surcharges. I guess I will need to purchase a SIM from AMZ or eBay then.

ps. from above method to activate it online thru webpage, that option is still "post-paid'. :(

ggmonogram

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
question, i got my new unactivated sim card, when i put it in it says NO SERVICE so obviously i need to activate it by going to https://www.wireless.att.com/GoPhoneWeb/goPhoneLanding.do?method=activatePayGo right? Yes and after putting in IMEI it says cannot determine my device type, it gives me 2 options, 1 is BASIC MESSAGING 2) Smartphone, so who has idea whether or not i should choose which of them, and which plan????? please advise.

ggmonogram

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Go to settings, cellular , view account. Does plan options menu pop up?

It didn't when the first time i attempted, so i went to the activate webpage. i got that question i asked above, and i stopped proceeding.

But now I retry on the popup thingy, it worked. HAHA

ggmonogram

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
thx all lol, so everything is set,

1) ATT $25/1GB 3Months. LTE takes a while to kick it automatically.

2) T-Mo $0/200MB 1Month. LTE.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.