Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WSFrazier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Anyone have any alternatives on the Windows side for MP4Tools?

I use it to convert MKV files to M4V without encoding, and it also converts DTS 5.1 tracks to AC3 to keep the 5.1 on my Apple TV.

On top of that, it downloads meta data and movie covers.

Looking for something that does all that on my Windows box.

WSFrazier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I am bumping this back up to see if there are any other suggestions for the PC side of things.

Preferably something free and all in one like MPTools on Mac.

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I use MetaX on Windows too and it is great. Has probably been updated 6 or 7 times in the last 2 years. I was hesitant to pay for it at first, but I have honestly used it on over a 1000 movies/shows since I got it, so I think the developer should get some credit for that. And Dan has responded to 2 issues I have had over that time.

Are you wanting to avoid transcode for purity reasons or time reasons? Handbrake is the go to choice for most of us, but it does do a transcode of both video and audio (in the case of DTS to AC3).

But using AnyDVD HD, you can use Handbrake to rip straight from the Blu-ray or DVD so you do not have to make the initial MKV like a lot of people do on Mac, which saves time.

If you have a recent Intel Core processor, Handbrake can use the QuickSync part of the chip and rip a Bluray in about 20-30 minutes. I do not like the quality when it does this, but it is damn fast.

WSFrazier

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Yeah, I am not trying to re-encode or transcode files that are already MKV. Just want to change the container to MP4 for iTunes/ATV3 compatibility.

MetaX seems good, but MP4Tools on the Mac seems better at pulling the meta information. There is so much more information from MP4Tools compared to MetaX when tagging.

No big deal though, seems MetaX is the go-to app.

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
The best thing about mp4 tools is that it will convert aac to ac3 (ac3 plays nice with apple devices) and it takes 1 minute or less because it remuxes the file

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.