Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacob SMITH

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
Do you think apple should increase their battery life.....?
In 2013 maximum smart cell phone has the good battery like more than 2000mAh.whether iPhone 5s has the 1460mAh.I think its really awful.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
So what are u saying? Apple should make a bigger phones to house a larger battery?

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
Since Apple is focusing on screen size in 2014, this could mean a taller device that could possibly squeeze in a 17-24 hour battery.

Last edited:

johnny2435

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
It doesn't mean they will since we have a seven times bigger iPad Air which still can't seem to get above 11 hours.

Speak for yourself. If you haven't noticed mostly everyone on this forum is getting well above the quoted 10 hours. Im easily getting 16+ hours use with moderate usage. And why are you even complaining about 11 hours? Thats still above the promised 10 hours.

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
Speak for yourself. If you haven't noticed mostly everyone on this forum is getting well above the quoted 10 hours. Im easily getting 16+ hours use with moderate usage. And why are you even complaining about 11 hours? Thats still above the promised 10 hours.

Sorry man, edited to meet your standards.

I was guestimating.

Jacob SMITH

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2013
So what are u saying? Apple should make a bigger phones to house a larger battery?

No I'm not saying that.even I don't like big screen cell phone.I was telling only about battery life
thanks for your reply.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
No I'm not saying that.even I don't like big screen cell phone.I was telling only about battery life

As applejuice says, Apple is been working on it. Wo more real estate for a bigger battery, today's technology is what is it. Wait until A16, with a 2 nm microprocessor and sipping only 5 watts, by then.

thanks for your reply.

No thank YOU.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
My iPhone gets about 8 hours of average usage. My Galaxy gets about 4-5 hours of screen-on usage doing the same tasks, the S3 has a larger battery than the 5S..it's more about optimising your software then sheer size of the battery, but yes that is an important factor as well.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Do you think apple should increase their battery life.....?
In 2013 maximum smart cell phone has the good battery like more than 2000mAh.whether iPhone 5s has the 1460mAh.I think its really awful.

Yes, but one is a high quality battery, the others are generally cheap and don't perform to specification!

I'd love better battery life, as would millions, but I'm certainly not going to switch my allegiances towards a "lesser" phone just for an extra hour of battery life that I wouldn't need because I wouldn't be enjoying using my iPhone to require it lol.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'd take a slightly bigger iPhone for a larger battery. Once all the optimization is done and newest battery tech used the only option left is larger in physical size.

If my iPhone could get to 10hrs of usage that would be perfect. I always find myself restricting using my phone once I get to a certain percent in fear it will die before I can get to a charger. It's silly but it effects the way I do thing day to day and not having to worry about it would be awesome.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I know, I had a office lunch last week, planning to make some cupcakes and *boom* phone is out of ****ing batter. Step it up Apple.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
My iPhone gets about 8 hours of average usage. My Galaxy gets about 4-5 hours of screen-on usage doing the same tasks, the S3 has a larger battery than the 5S..it's more about optimising your software then sheer size of the battery, but yes that is an important factor as well.

But the iPhone "usage" isn't just screen on time, so you can't draw any parallels between the two numbers other than anecdotal guestimations.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Most competitors has bigger batteries but not longer endurance in real life.

BTW it's a trade off: Apple is focused on compact dimensions, so they can't use bigger batteries and they are developing more efficient cells (and less energy hungry chipsets).
Using a larger display maybe they could squeeze a bigger battery in.

Camoxide

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
England
There's no room for a bigger battery. If they could fit a bigger battery in they would. Batteries are cheap.

Battery tech is a behind and hasn't evolved much. Not Apples fault.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
What? It's either usage or standby.

"usage" includes when you're on the phone and the screen is off, when you're playing music when the screen is off, when you're phone is checking for emails, when your phone is refreshing apps based on the background app settings.... I could go on, but I think you get the point

Like I said, you can't draw parallels between the two.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
But the iPhone "usage" isn't just screen on time, so you can't draw any parallels between the two numbers other than anecdotal guestimations.

If the usage pattern is similar, you can compare the two values.

----------

"usage" includes when you're on the phone and the screen is off, when you're playing music when the screen is off, when you're phone is checking for emails, when your phone is refreshing apps based on the background app settings.... I could go on, but I think you get the point

Like I said, you can't draw parallels between the two.

He said "doing the same tasks", so we have to assume that he was comparing same usage patterns.
The parallel isn't accurate , but it is quite valid.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
He said "doing the same tasks", so we have to assume that he was comparing same usage patterns.
The parallel isn't accurate , but it is quite valid.

No, it's not valid at all.

It would be valid if he said something like "with similar usage, the iphone died after 17 hours and the android phone died after 15 hours".

But he didn't say that... He said that one phone died after X amount of "usage" and another phone died after Y amount of screen on.. The two aren't comparable, at all :cool:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
No, it's not valid at all.

It would be valid if he said something like "with similar usage, the iphone died after 17 hours and the android phone died after 15 hours".

But he didn't say that... He said that one phone died after X amount of "usage" and another phone died after Y amount of screen on.. The two aren't comparable, at all :cool:

It is as long as he doesn't consider "screen on time" but usage time with same usage pattern.
If I keep an iPhone for one week, configure it according to my needs, I can find out what usage time on average, I can reach.
Next week I do the same with another phone, configure it according to the same needs (mostly with same apps, or similar), I can find out usage time with the new phone.
You can't compare these values minute per minute, but you can see if there is a major difference (like 3 hours as he said).

Jsketch

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
I wouldn't mind the iPhone being a little thicker to accommodate a bigger battery. Battery life is the main reason i made the switch from android and it has been great so far.

I didn't have problems at home, but at school I needed a huge battery on my phone to actually use it. Someone thought it was a wireless mouse.

There is a chance i will go back once i am out of school. Is it at all weird that i connect better with people who have android phones, especially girls?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I'm no engineer, but are there any limitations to how a battery must be shaped? Because looking at volume alone, they'd be able to double the battery size without adding more than very little to the thickness. If the battery must be shaped like a brick, they could simply add a second battery and place in on top of everything else, making the phone a bit thicker.

Does anyone know if there is a practical/technical/economical reason for them not to offer twice the battery capacity?

Make the 5 as thick as the 4, and use all that extra volume for battery. Volume wise, adding 1,7 mm to the phone's thickness gives space for a battery 1,2 times the size of the current battery.

I'd definitely prefer that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.