Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:24 AM   #1
spybenj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Resale value of 1tb ssd?

Hey,
The upgrade from 512gb to 1tb for the new 15" rMBP is $500($450 with education discount). How much extra would I be able to sell a 1tb a year from now compared to a 512?
Like say I can sell the 512 model for $2000, would the 1tb version be worth $2100? Or $2450?
And on the same note, how much do you think I'll be able to sell it a year from now?
spybenj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:33 AM   #2
PDFierro
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Resale value typically is lesser on maxed-out models. Only go for the 1TB if you actually need it.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:39 AM   #3
john123
macrumors 68000
 
john123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
I've been doing this for a long time, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you usually get killed trying to resell high end models.

Keep in mind that in doing so, all the demographics and trends are working against you. You may be advertising your big disk, but that only matters to a fraction of buyers. Furthermore, "power" users will often be lured in by the shiny features offered by the then-"new" models, which further make your used model less attractive by comparison.

I think that, after the next revision is released, you'll find getting $2000 for a 512GB model to be extremely unlikely (unless you meant the 2.3/16/512 one, in which case $2000 might be about right, but with a more narrow market of potential buyers). I wouldn't value the 1TB drive any more than about $150 more, personally. Yes, you might be able to be patient enough to find the needle-in-the-haystack buyer who cares about only disk space and is willing to pay you a premium. But it won't be easy unless you go to eBay, where resale values already get killed—and that's before eBay and PayPal take their cut.

I'm sure someone will chime in this thread with their anecdotal story of how they managed to do it, but that would miss the point. Those stories are the exception, not the rule. I've actually made money selling an old MacBook Pro and buying a new, more capable revision. Is that the norm, and should that be the expectation? Of course not. Same principle applies.
john123 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:30 AM   #4
spybenj
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by john123 View Post
I've been doing this for a long time, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you usually get killed trying to resell high end models.

Keep in mind that in doing so, all the demographics and trends are working against you. You may be advertising your big disk, but that only matters to a fraction of buyers. Furthermore, "power" users will often be lured in by the shiny features offered by the then-"new" models, which further make your used model less attractive by comparison.

I think that, after the next revision is released, you'll find getting $2000 for a 512GB model to be extremely unlikely (unless you meant the 2.3/16/512 one, in which case $2000 might be about right, but with a more narrow market of potential buyers). I wouldn't value the 1TB drive any more than about $150 more, personally. Yes, you might be able to be patient enough to find the needle-in-the-haystack buyer who cares about only disk space and is willing to pay you a premium. But it won't be easy unless you go to eBay, where resale values already get killed—and that's before eBay and PayPal take their cut.

I'm sure someone will chime in this thread with their anecdotal story of how they managed to do it, but that would miss the point. Those stories are the exception, not the rule. I've actually made money selling an old MacBook Pro and buying a new, more capable revision. Is that the norm, and should that be the expectation? Of course not. Same principle applies.
Yea I do mean the 2.3/16/512 version

Alright that makes sense. I've had that same experience selling iPhones; people will pay say $400 for a 16 or $450 for 64, as an example.
Thanks for the long response!
spybenj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:55 AM   #5
LaravelNick
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
The SSD is the only user upgradable part and it's likely that people like OWC will offer compatible SSDs soon and the price of SSDs will surely come down over time anyway as they become more mainstream.
LaravelNick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2013, 04:23 AM   #6
hachiman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Buying the high end model or with the top upgrades will be like buying a luxury car, you're paying the high price for the latest-and-greatest. Eventually, technology will improve to the point where things were once exclusive.

People who buy second-handed used laptops don't care for the "then" most expensive models or would pay the price for it. If they would, they would rather just buy new. Would you want to buy a used car that the owner advertised as "It even got the $3,000 navigation option!"? Today, everyone has an iPhone/Android that can do better.
hachiman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Ryan1524
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada GTA
Start buying things to serve your needs, not the needs of the potential future buyers. You'll get more out of your tools, and be happier doing it.
__________________
Ryan - my flickr
Ryan1524 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2013, 05:17 AM   #8
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
You'll never get your money back. Why spend 500 dollars on the SSD upgrade when you may see a hundred or two increase down the road.

Also consider the higher end the machine the harder it will sell because you're pricing it outside the norm and there's a smaller pool of potential buyers.

My advice echoes the others. Buy what you need, don't worry what you may or may not get when its time to sell it.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2013, 12:56 PM   #9
rgarjr
macrumors 603
 
rgarjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: C a l i f o r n i a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1524 View Post
Start buying things to serve your needs, not the needs of the potential future buyers. You'll get more out of your tools, and be happier doing it.
I agree, stop worrying about its resale value and just enjoy what best suits u now.
rgarjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2013, 01:12 PM   #10
john123
macrumors 68000
 
john123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1524 View Post
Start buying things to serve your needs, not the needs of the potential future buyers. You'll get more out of your tools, and be happier doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
I agree, stop worrying about its resale value and just enjoy what best suits u now.
Guys, in fairness, it's not our place to tell the OP what to worry about and what not to worry about. If something like total cost of ownership is an important metric to him, then that's his choice. He just asked about what the likely return would be on a given feature.

I personally consider resale value a lot when deciding on laptop models. Usually that leads me to purchase base models, because I realize that the marginal enjoyment and utility I would get out of a higher-end model is offset by the marginal dis-utility I'd get come resale time. The decision is a personal one, not a universal one.
john123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1TB SSD vs 240GB SSD (OS) + 1TB SSD (Media) Combo sunnyj MacBook Pro 1 Dec 7, 2013 03:37 PM
1TB SSD vs 240GB SSD (OS)+1TB SDD (Media) Combo (general question) sunnyj Mac Pro 5 Dec 7, 2013 03:36 PM
Why is the iMacs 1TB SSD slower than 1TB SSD of a MBPr? breiti MacBook Pro 19 Nov 14, 2013 05:22 AM
2013 MBPr Owners with 1TB SSD - SSD Manufactured by? plasticphyte MacBook Pro 5 Nov 8, 2013 09:49 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC