Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maira10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Could i return my tmobile gold 5s I got from Apple.com at the retail store in 5th avenue for a refund ?i can't & don't wanna mail it to apple. Since it's unopened & contact free should I have any trouble getting a refund for it? I don't mind exchanging it with a sim free one . I know they aren't selling them yet so plan to order a sim free one from apple.com again. I am just confused as it says on the site that an iphone is ineligible for return to an apple retail store.
so I wanna know if anyone was successful getting a refund from a retail store?

Maira10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Only choice is Gazelle, get your $400.[/QUOTE]

Is that a joke? Not funny!

mac-money

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2013
You can return it if it has been less than 30 days and you still have the receipt and all the packaging.

mac-money

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2013
Oh. Well, then.

Yes, I got mine from The Apple Store. If it's purchased online and can't be brought back, then best choice, Craigslist and mark it up.

Maira10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Did you get it from apple.com or at the retail store? They have a disclaimer that online orders can't be returned in person.

From apple.com. I know about that disclaimer & that's why I am asking. I am hoping since it's contact free & unopened a popular retail store like the fifth avenue won't make an issue about giving me a refund for it .i mean they won't have any problem selling it to the next customer .

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Take it to the 5th ave store if thats the one you want to go to. I have never seen nor heard of anyone being refused refund within the 30 days, regardless of purchasing it online or in the store as long as its from Apple.

Maira10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
You can still mail it back if it's been less than 30 days.

It's only been a week & mailing the phone is not an option. I also won't sell it to anyone for any amount. If I can't get return it & get the sim free one then just gonna keep the tmobile one.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Take it to the 5th ave store if thats the one you want to go to. I have never seen nor heard of anyone being refused refund within the 30 days, regardless of purchasing it online or in the store as long as its from Apple.

^This. I've been credited back before with no issue. Will again.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I returned mine via USPS after making an Apple.com purchase, BUT the rep on the phone said I could return it via the nearest Apple store if I wanted to, but don't know if she knew of the policy. Some have tried this with no issues, but you should call the New York store, and verify with a name before going to that store.

Asking us is not going to help at all. We don't know for sure. You have to call or go down there right now.

Apple will not swap out that iPhone of yours for a SIM free version. You have to return for a full refund, wait a bit for the refund or credit, than purchase again

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 3.08.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-22 at 3.08.02 PM.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Maira10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
^This. I've been credited back before with no issue. Will again.

Thanks! I am out of the country(why else would my 5s still be unopened!)but will surely ask my parents now to try to get a refund/ exchange. I know the tmobile one is unlocked but since I am gonna be using it for the first time in my home country(no apple stores here) it's better to be safe than sorry!

Maira10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I returned mine via USPS after making an Apple.com purchase, BUT the rep on the phone said I could return it via the nearest Apple store if I wanted to, but don't know if she knew of the policy. Some have tried this with no issues, but you should call the New York store, and verify with a name before going to that store.

Asking us is not going to help at all. We don't know for sure. You have to call or go down there right now.

Apple will not swap out that iPhone of yours for a SIM free version. You have to return for a full refund, wait a bit for the refund or credit, than purchase again

Trust me I won't ask you guys if I could call or be at a apple store personally right now!my parents r very busy so I wanted to be sure before sending them to the store. I tried contacting apple online from my country but it's not possible! & direct phone call gonna costs me a fortune!! I rather my parents don't call apple as well( they might say no) & take a chance at the store.

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
All the time spent going back and forth in this thread. The iPhone couldve been returned already to the store.

Last edited:

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
There really isn't any reason to return it if your only goal is to get the same phone in a SIM free version. Just throw away the T-mobile SIM and use it with whatever SIM you want. If you bought the unlocked and contract free T-mobile iPhone, it is 100% identical to the SIM-free one. I know there are people who continue to doubt this, but it has been proven over and over that the T-mobile iPhone is 100% unlocked for use with any SIM as long as you bought it from Apple and not from T-mobile.

Maira10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
All the time spent going back and forth in this thread. The iPhone coulee been returned already to the store.[/QUOTE

& who's gonna return it? I surely can't cause that 5th ave apple store is around 8000 miles far away from here! Parents in NY but very busy with some important work so just wanted to be sure before asking them to go this weekend. anyways don't wanna irritate anyone with my thread so never mind.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Because they bought the T-Mobile version and now that SIM free is out, they want that one.

Oh, that works. I'd go with that.
Both are unlocked.

Could i return my tmobile gold 5s I got from Apple.com at the retail store in 5th avenue for a refund ?i can't & don't wanna mail it to apple. Since it's unopened & contact free should I have any trouble getting a refund for it? I don't mind exchanging it with a sim free one . I know they aren't selling them yet so plan to order a sim free one from apple.com again. I am just confused as it says on the site that an iphone is ineligible for return to an apple retail store.
so I wanna know if anyone was successful getting a refund from a retail store?
The T-Mobile version is the exact same iPhone with the exact same unlock status as the SIM free version. The only difference is it ships with a T-Mobile SIM card inside.

Why would you return it for the exact same phone and waste your time?

They both are the same.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
From apple.com. I know about that disclaimer & that's why I am asking. I am hoping since it's contact free & unopened a popular retail store like the fifth avenue won't make an issue about giving me a refund for it .i mean they won't have any problem selling it to the next customer .

Its my understanding Apple will open the box in your presence to see if something is missing or damaged, no matter if you say its brand new or not. They have to check everything out, send it in to Apple, and than re-sell it as refurbished.

PS: They are now selling SIM free T-Mobil iPhones. Have you checked the Apple website today ?

Maira10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Its my understanding Apple will open the box in your presence to see if something is missing or damaged, no matter if you say its brand new or not. They have to check everything out, send it in to Apple, and than re-sell it as refurbished.

PS: They are now selling SIM free T-Mobil iPhones. Have you checked the Apple website today ?

I know they r selling sim free 5s now.Thats what I wanna return my tmobile one & get a sim free one from apple.com as they r not in stock at retail stores yet. Not sure if it's worth all the trouble though.btw apple gonna open the phone even if it's still shrink wrapped?? That's sad! Maybe they should invest on a special iphone X-ray machine!

Oui

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
All the time spent going back and forth in this thread. The iPhone coulee been returned already to the store.[/QUOTE

& who's gonna return it? I surely can't cause that 5th ave apple store is around 8000 miles far away from here! Parents in NY but very busy with some important work so just wanted to be sure before asking them to go this weekend. anyways don't wanna irritate anyone with my thread so never mind.

Well it's surely not gonna do it itself. It's already been stated that it can be returned in the store.

Maira10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Both are unlocked.

The T-Mobile version is the exact same iPhone with the exact same unlock status as the SIM free version. The only difference is it ships with a T-Mobile SIM card inside.

Why would you return it for the exact same phone and waste your time?

They both are the same.

I know they r unlocked but I heard uncomfortable stories! Like I heard if try to active your phone with the tmobile phone outside USA for the first time it becomes a brick & refuses to accept any SIM card!! Only apple could unlock it then but unfortunately I won't have access to apple in my country.i also heard if u active that sim with a plan in USA then Tmobile could lock it? R they just baseless rumors or should i be worried?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.