Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tribefan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Can someone offer some insight to an issue my cousin is having after upgrading from an iPhone 5 to a 5s yesterday?

After doing his upgrade, he lost a handful of his contacts and out of his 400+ photos in Photo Stream, only 40 or so are showing up. He did do an iCloud backup before going to the store, and he had all the right settings activated on the iCloud section of "Settings". I'm pretty knowledgable about iOS and Apple products, but I can't figure out why this has happened. If all the settings are enabled and the backup was done before hand, shouldn't EVERYTHING have transferred over for him?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The lost contacts does sound odd. As for Photostream, that's not a backup. If it wasn't on his camera roll or his camera roll is not set to be backed up to iCloud there's no guarantee what pictures he'd get back from his Photostream.

Tribefan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
The lost contacts does sound odd. As for Photostream, that's not a backup. If it wasn't on his camera roll or his camera roll is not set to be backed up to iCloud there's no guarantee what pictures he'd get back from his Photostream.

I thought Photo Stream backed up your camera roll. :confused: Hmmm...

Either way, he had/has "Photos" turned on on his iCloud settings.

Tribefan

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Well, I just learned something new. I was under the impression that Photo Stream was essentially a cloud backup of the camera roll. Whoops! Lol. Thanks for that link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.