Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbanderson1

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Has anyone used this to update their music? My question is will it update the physical copies of my music in my iTunes library like match is capable of doing or do I only get the higher bit rate when streaming from the cloud?

http://www.slashgear.com/google-play-music-takes-on-itunes-match-with-free-equivalent-18261498/

I am interesting in getting higher quality versions of my music but staying with iTunes because I use it to sync my iPhone anyway.

Couldn't really find much detailed information on google's website so I'm hoping someone has first hand experience with this.

-D

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ok someone might give you a different answer but anyway...

I use iTunes Match which I love and can't fault but when I saw the google alternative had come to iOS (the player app) I thought I would give it a shot.

So to test I picked 5 albums from the last year and placed them in a folder so I could point the google client (uploader) to them without taking my whole library.

Out for the 5 albums Google had 1 track, these were not unheard of bands i had chosen, I'm talking Rihanna, now 85 etc.

I think what made it worst is despite these albums being tagged correctly the google play app didn't read the tags correctly which threw a curve ball, so now85 for example in the album view showed as 40 odd albums with one track on each. But logging into google through chrome (can't use safari as the music don't play ;) nice catch google) the albums display correctly. Thought it was an iOS bad coding issue but it's present on the nexus too...

Personally I'll stick with giving apple my money and let them upgrade the songs for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.