Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 17, 2005, 08:38 PM   #1
thumb
macrumors 6502

Help! Airport Extreme and Brother Printer

Hello,

Anyone who has any suggestions please help.

I have an airport extreme basestation and a Brother HL 5050 laser printer. I have had this set up close to 2 years, with no problem regarding wireless printing.

This fall, I installed Tiger, and the printer no longer works wirelessly (it works fine from USB port). I have tried searching here, apple.support, Brother, random Google searches, etc, and have found nothing. I have download and updated drivers for just about everything imaginable.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks,

Thumb
thumb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:45 PM   #2
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

In the AirPort Admin Utility, does your printer still get recognised by the base station? If you're using the latest AirPort firmware (most probable) then it'll be in the Base Station Options section. In other words, we need to check to see if it's an AirPort issue or a Bonjour issue on your Mac.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:47 PM   #3
thumb
macrumors 6502

I do see the printer under Base Station Options / USB. My firmware version appears to be 5.6.

Thanks,
Old Dec 17, 2005, 11:58 PM   #4
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Have you tried the obvious: re-adding it from the System Preferences (which will redirect you to the Printer Setup Utility?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:30 AM   #5
thumb
macrumors 6502

Yes, I have done that, I have deleted and readded all printers, I have hard and soft reset both station and printer and recombined in a vareity of permutations, etc. I have mostly gotten fairly frustrated, esp. because this whole set up worked just fine before installing Tiger (which, excepting this, I love).

Do you know of perhaps another driver I should use instead of the Brother Driver that might get around this problem? I don't know if that is a good idea or not.

Thanks for your help thus far, I reallly appreciate it.

thumb
Old Dec 18, 2005, 12:35 AM   #6
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Is the Printer Setup Utility recognising that there's a printer attached? Has the printer been added but you cannot print?
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:21 AM   #7
thumb
macrumors 6502

Hi,

Printer is showing in all programs. In Utility, in Rendevous (from Word, Safari, Mail, etc). I have 2 powerbooks on airport, and they both show the same.

When you go to print a document say from Word, you can select the printer in Rendevous - sorry, Bonjour - Printer Utility starts up, but nothing comes out of the printer, and after about a minute of the blue horizontal barbershop pole effect, Utility will say the job was stopped.

Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:14 AM   #8
za9ra22
macrumors 6502

I had similar issues with my HL-1440 and printing from Macs that had been upgraded to Tiger. The printer was visible to the AE base station, was a visible print option in all applications on each system, and would print when hooked directly to any Mac, but would not print when accessed as a shared resource.

The problem was resolved by the installation of the latest driver from Brother's web site. Previous to the Tiger upgrade, the latest driver had not worked.
za9ra22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:16 AM   #9
thumb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by za9ra22
I had similar issues with my HL-1440 and printing from Macs that had been upgraded to Tiger. The printer was visible to the AE base station, was a visible print option in all applications on each system, and would print when hooked directly to any Mac, but would not print when accessed as a shared resource.

The problem was resolved by the installation of the latest driver from Brother's web site. Previous to the Tiger upgrade, the latest driver had not worked.
Do you know exactly what you downloaded. When I go to their site, the have a driver for download for 10.3 (CUPS 1.1 - which I have). For 10.4, they send you to a special Tiger Assistance Zone. There, both your 1440 and my 5050 are listed as not needing a new driver, that it comes bundled with Tiger. In fact, it won't let me download anything.

What did you do?

I really appreciate your help, as this is driving me crazy. I can usually figure out all these problems just fine on my own.

Cheers

Thumb
Old Dec 23, 2005, 09:44 AM   #10
thumb
macrumors 6502

any more thoughts?
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:45 AM   #11
jayb2000
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jayb2000
remove the driver

I had a similar issue with a SanDisk memory card reader.
They actually suggested, uninstalling their driver and then it worked fine.

Try deleting and just readding the printer without the Brother driver.
jayb2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals