Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Recently bought a new MBP, but I can't figure out how to share files from my PC over my private wifi network. I'm running Windows 8.1 and the latest version of Mavericks.

I've enabled file sharing and home group and a whole bunch of other confusing **** on my PC, but nothing seems to work. I literally don't think there's any other sharing option that I can enable.

Sometimes I see the shared network in Finder, but the connection fails so I never see any files. Other times, I don't see the shared network at all. I haven't changed any of the settings between the two computers, so I have no idea why the connection only sometimes appears. That said, I'm confident the problem is with Windows... because Windows is always the ****ing problem.

I have a few extra HDDs in the PC that I use for media storage. I simply want to be able to transfer files to/from these HDDs over wifi using my Mac. It should be simple, but it isn't.

Any help would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.