Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g.t. rags

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Long Island
been with them approaching a decade, with multiple lines on my account.

was very discouraged about 4 months ago when i got locked out of checking upgrade eligibility, and when it returned about 2 months ago, my full discount upgrade that I should have been eligible for about 3 weeks ago, was gone, and it now said I had to wait until the full 2 year contract was up if I wanted to take advantage of the full discount.

had some free time today, called them up and let them know what the issue was, and before I even had the chance to ask her if she could fix it for me, she cut me off and said "let me take care of that for you, only condition is you have to order through the phone or go down to an AT&T store directly to place your order."

i continued on through and placed the order, agreed to the terms and conditions, got off the phone and was like, "did i just agree to a 36 upgrade fee" and immediately called back. new gentleman on the phone tried to explain to me that the 36 fee is to upkeep there satellites with 4glte and whatever new comes out.

That was a mistake. I'm a car salesman dude. I immediately, but politely, fired back that my $195 a month I pay them for 4 lines, should automatically cover those costs, and that I think it's a little ridiculous to charge me 36$ x 4 every 18 months to upgrade my phones. i also explained to him that the next program doesn't require an upgrade fee.

He went to challenge that point with me, and I just simply explained one more time that I've been with AT&T for almost a decade, and in that decade I've always been on time, and I think it would be courteous on the companies part to extend me the luxury of purchasing my phone through them (as apposed to a 3rd party mobile retailer, or even apple themselves) and waving the upgrade fee. This is the point at which i realized he was most likely reading from a script, and it was exhausted, so he blatantly tried calling me out and saying that it sounds like I had done this before. (which i haven't, i just knew from this site it could be done)

after I explained to him I just think its a flat out retarded charge, and I understand it's just there attempt to bring in more revenue, he backed off and applied an instant credit to my account of 36$.

so to anyone who upgraded there phones in march of 2012 and are just awaiting you contracts to expire for your upgrade, call up and give it a shot. it was easier getting the upgrade early then it was getting the 36 fee waved. all in all, an hour out of my day.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
theres a whole upgrade fee waiving thread thats been going on since last year somewhere on the forum. they used to waive the fee simply by calling and asking for them to, however recently they have taken Verizons way of flat out denying this. you should consider yourself lucky, since they recently stopped doing this.

and FYI, there are no LTE "satellites". cell towers are all terrestrial. Iridium satellite phone service, different story and whole different thing altogether, does use satellite for true total world coverage.

g.t. rags

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Long Island
yea i basically called bs on the satellite excuse, and tossed back in his face that any type of revenue they need to upgrade any of there facilities, or even pay employees or companies for service rendered, should come out of my monthly payment, not an additional upgrade fee.

when you lease a car, and turn in and either lease the same exact car, or at the very least, stay within brand, they don't charge you a "new car fee" at the dealership.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I recently had my $36 "upgrade fee" removed by arguing the same fact: These fees are a pure money grab from companies. I was told it's because I subsidized my phone. I told her that I signed a two year contract, they subsidize my phone, we both get something and you (att) are being greedy and asking for more. I told her they should be paying ME $36 to continue to use their service.

Moral of the story is keep asking. Of course she said it's a one time courtesy thing but I told her next time I upgrade I'll be calling her back. Have 3 upgrades when the 6 comes out so they will really hit me with the fees.

ScottW1

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
NW Washington, USA
Great that you got that ridiculous upgrade fee waived. But the real question is, did you go ahead and spring for the all important fabric protection, undercoating, paint protection, and extended warranty deals?

akron0488

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2013
After you told him you were a car salesman, did he repeatedly put you on hold while he "ran it by his manager?"

DewChugr

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
It seems they have a different reason for the fee every time someone calls. My FAN waives fees and shipping, but I got a phone at BB and had to call to get it straightened out. The guy I talked to then offered me $10 off my family messaging plan for life without me even asking. Then he said he saw one of my lines was out of contract and if I wanted a new smart phone he would take $100 off the price of any smartphone. I told him I wasn't interested at the time. He said he would note my file and if I decided I wanted to upgrade call and they would give me a break. Then he tells me he can save me $20 a month changing my 850 plan to a 450 plan. I'm not sure if I want to go to 450 or not though.

Pretty happy with AT&T on this call.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
After you told him you were a car salesman, did he repeatedly put you on hold while he "ran it by his manager?"

As a total aside, i got "turned out" of a dealership once for calling BS on this.

Told the guy that if he stalls the sale one more time to "go talk to his manager" I would like to see the manager myself. My intention was to give the sale to someone more competent. I was asked to leave, under the pretense that I was "being overtly difficult."

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
$195 a month? Wow I pay like $130 a month for 4 lines and unlimited everything almost with tmobile.

Yea, att's plans have been becoming more and more crap. The cheapest texting plan is 20$ and if you have more than 3 lines they force you to have a higher amount of minutes even tho you wouldn't even use their lower minutes plans to the full extent ley alone the higher ones. The only reason i still use them is because i still have unlimited data and no one else gets coverage where i live let alone have att type speeds.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
As a total aside, i got "turned out" of a dealership once for calling BS on this.

Told the guy that if he stalls the sale one more time to "go talk to his manager" I would like to see the manager myself. My intention was to give the sale to someone more competent. I was asked to leave, under the pretense that I was "being overtly difficult."

They asked you to leave because there was no manager :)

You should try buying your next new car online and having it delivered to your house. Many dealers (with internet sales team) offer free delivery within 100 miles range. Yes, you get it sight unseen but you test drive a particular model locally first then negotiate online for whatever model/packages/equipments you want. Inspection is done when it arrives to your house or workplace. No BS that way. Did that and loved it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.